I just suffer through them
6 (37.5%)
VPN from the Three Counties where they're outlawed
1 (6.3%)
I use Windows 98SE  (stoner option)
4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: January 09, 2024, 07:59:10 pm

Author Topic: How do you block YOUTUBE's ADS?  (Read 2096 times)

Offline corbe

How do you block YOUTUBE's ADS?
« on: December 10, 2023, 07:59:10 pm »
   I suspect a GMAIL throw away account saved me throughout that last wave of the YOUTUBE onslaught of commercials, it didn't seem to work anymore.  So, I downloaded and Installed Brave (as a browser) to access their content, I've had 100% success with it.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online libertybele

Re: How do you block YOUTUBE's ADS?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 08:02:15 pm »
..hmmm....I use you tube often and I don't get ads and I have no idea as to why not.  :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 08:05:23 pm »
   That will change soon @libertybele unless, perhaps they have branded me a 'malcontent' due to my various  subscriptions there.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 08:06:00 pm »
Most of my YouTube viewing is on my Roku TV, so I either have to suffer through them or pay for YouTube Premium. Currently, I suffer through them. A lot of them can be skipped after five seconds though, so it isn't too bad.
Let it burn.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 08:06:13 pm »
Ghostery helps on Edge, but many still get through.  I use Brave on my home laptop, and it blocks most everything.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 08:30:27 pm »
uBlock Origin, an add-on for Ffx, Chr, IE (and maybe others) is probably the most effective ad blocker. Unfortunately, Google is going after ad blockers, and of course, uBlock Origin foremost.

Suddenly you can't play anything, and there's a big nag board trying to get you to disable the ad blocker.

The fix seems to be
In your browser, go to settings/ add-ons and themes/ and find the settings gear for ublock.
in the main filters tab, purge the defs cache, and reload the defs cache.
everything goes back to normal.

Two ancillary observations:

might be a time thing. seems to only occur during long sessions (hours).

one iteration of the nag was cached in temp and would persist. clearing cache and cookies wiped it... but that is not happening anymore, so it must be script.

I may have to reinstall a script blocker  :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 08:45:39 pm »
Most of my YouTube viewing is on my Roku TV, so I either have to suffer through them or pay for YouTube Premium. Currently, I suffer through them. A lot of them can be skipped after five seconds though, so it isn't too bad.

Find a used Win10 desktop box with an HDMI port and WirelessAC - such a box can be had for very little money. Hook it to your TV via HDMI, and buy a wireless keyboard/glidepad to run it with.

Then you'll have a standard Windows desktop on your TV, and can use your preferred browser, with all that provides.

I am directly opposite... I was on ROKU this morning, but it was the first time in months... I am almost always watching through Windows.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 11:46:12 pm »
I chose the stoner option
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 01:10:25 am »
Find a used Win10 desktop box with an HDMI port and WirelessAC - such a box can be had for very little money. Hook it to your TV via HDMI, and buy a wireless keyboard/glidepad to run it with.

Then you'll have a standard Windows desktop on your TV, and can use your preferred browser, with all that provides.

I am directly opposite... I was on ROKU this morning, but it was the first time in months... I am almost always watching through Windows.

I don't see the need to go to the trouble of doing that, the ads don't bother me that much.

Besides, my favorite content creators make some of their money from ad revenue, so every now and then I let an ad play just so the creator can get a few more fractions of a cent.
Let it burn.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 02:26:56 am »
I just grin and bear it, I watch on my TV.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 03:06:05 pm »
One thing I have found, is I listen to linked music  from my Classic Rock thread, and it somehow bypasses ads.  That's why you might see me parked over there hours at a time.

BTW, just in case, which three counties outlaw them?  (Back up plan)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline corbe

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 03:15:36 pm »
Albania, Myanmar, and Moldova

Top ways to block YouTube ads – Quick list

VPN connection to Albania, Myanmar, and Moldova
Get a YouTube Premium subscription
Install ad blocker extension
Use an ad-blocking browser
Set up Pi-hole on Raspberry Pi
Use a Modded YouTube app
Using third-party tools for blocking YouTube ads
Saving YouTube videos for offline viewing
Download YouTube videos to watch with no ads
Block the specific ad

https://privacysavvy.com/security/social/block-youtube-ads/

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 08:26:33 pm »
Albania, Myanmar, and Moldova

Top ways to block YouTube ads – Quick list

VPN connection to Albania, Myanmar, and Moldova
Get a YouTube Premium subscription
Install ad blocker extension
Use an ad-blocking browser
Set up Pi-hole on Raspberry Pi
Use a Modded YouTube app
Using third-party tools for blocking YouTube ads
Saving YouTube videos for offline viewing
Download YouTube videos to watch with no ads
Block the specific ad

https://privacysavvy.com/security/social/block-youtube-ads/

I did a pi-hole a while back... might have to revisit that. But I don't think that's for the uninitiated.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2023, 08:58:30 am »
I use 4 privacy browsers (one of which is Brave)... None show Youtube commercials but all have Ublock Origin on them... LibreWolf, Brave, Waterfox, and Pale Moon (and rarely TOR, though for not the reasons you probable would use TOR). I also liked "UnGoogled Chromium" browser, but since it is like some of the others I didn't keep it. That said, use whatever browser you want, but you can use Invidious as a front end and also achieve the same results without Youtube charting your viewing patterns (and putting you on a government list).

https://redirect.invidious.io/

Pick the server you want (country etc)... some even allow downloads (French for example). I like to use them to download music (download the audio in MP4 or Webm format and use Freac program to convert to about 192kbit MP3).... You can convert to higher bitrate, but it is a joke to do so since Youtube does not offer quality above that threshold.

Also you can use Piped to do about the same thing (no commercials, but I don't think downloads are possible).

https://pi.ggtyler.dev/

Ping me if tried and liked them.

@corbe @roamer_1

I also have a paid VPN I use on occasion but remember VPNs can reduce download/upload speeds. So I stick to Invidious usually.

I have so many browsers cause I have them set up differently (privacy workings) and when one will not work (I have configured it basically over-toughened), the next browser probable might.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 09:25:44 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2023, 08:22:25 pm »
I use 4 privacy browsers (one of which is Brave)... None show Youtube commercials but all have Ublock Origin on them... LibreWolf, Brave, Waterfox, and Pale Moon (and rarely TOR, though for not the reasons you probable would use TOR). I also liked "UnGoogled Chromium" browser, but since it is like some of the others I didn't keep it. That said, use whatever browser you want, but you can use Invidious as a front end and also achieve the same results without Youtube charting your viewing patterns (and putting you on a government list).

https://redirect.invidious.io/

Pick the server you want (country etc)... some even allow downloads (French for example). I like to use them to download music (download the audio in MP4 or Webm format and use Freac program to convert to about 192kbit MP3).... You can convert to higher bitrate, but it is a joke to do so since Youtube does not offer quality above that threshold.

Also you can use Piped to do about the same thing (no commercials, but I don't think downloads are possible).

https://pi.ggtyler.dev/

Ping me if tried and liked them.

@corbe @roamer_1

I also have a paid VPN I use on occasion but remember VPNs can reduce download/upload speeds. So I stick to Invidious usually.

I have so many browsers cause I have them set up differently (privacy workings) and when one will not work (I have configured it basically over-toughened), the next browser probable might.

That's a whole lotta hoops @Sighlass

I don't do any of that. Just Firefox and the Ublock Origin addon, and I never see ads (make SURE it is 'Ublock Origin', not 'Ublock' or 'Origin', they're not the same ). I carry a script blocker onboard, also an add on, but it's normally disabled... But that's about it.

I DO use the three major browser strains - IE, Chrome, and Firefox, partly so I keep up with them (so I can fix them), but also to bifurcate information. I have to give the Devil his due, but I bust it up between browsers so it ain't all going to anyone.

LOOK, I have Office. I use Outlook. I have six Windows machines running right now. I use MS technet. Microsoft KNOWS who I am. It's unavoidable. Heck ALL my PIM goes through Microsoft. So I put on my microsoft hat and do my microsoft things with Edge.

Google. Google is in my hand all day long. Every phone and text is on an android, which is owned by Google. There is no way in heck to avoid ANYTHING, because your apps all phone home, as does the phone itself. So, when I put on my Google hat, I use Chrome.

But I surf with Firefox. It's my EDC, the one I actually use. The one I am on now.

If you are using electronics, you are being tracked, period. The very nature of networking tracks you. So if someone wants it bad enough (I mean FBI, CIA) it don't matter what onion you use. It don't matter which browser, because your presence at a site of interest is logged. Unavoidable because of the nature of networking.

But a feller can buy a laptop for cash off the back of a truck so it literally has no connection to you, set it up with a war drive that NEVER is used from anywhere but public access... if you are careful, THAT's anonymous. But don't keep it long, because you begin to form patterns with that box... Predictable. So you switch it out - all of it -  alot. That's a ton of work to remain anonymous. And if you are anonymous how do people find YOU? People who know which forum to go to, which alias you use... It's complicated and kludgy. It can be done. I've done it. But what a total PIA.

But if you ain't doing all that or shutting it clean off, they already have you pegged. Yeah, you can Onion and TOR, VPN. But the problem is that one end of the wormhole is fixed - it's coming from YOUR HOUSE... So if you are doing anything nasty, just don't do it from home, or from a computer that has your regular info on it *at all, ever*.

Otherwise you ain't really stopping anything. Privacy means shutting it off.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2023, 03:59:16 pm »
I watch youtube on my Roku, so custom software and apps are out, only thing I could do is a pi-hole, but I'm not sure that works on youtube though. I suffered through ads pre-internet I guess, i just take a bathroom break during them.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2023, 09:02:19 pm »
I watch youtube on my Roku, so custom software and apps are out, only thing I could do is a pi-hole, but I'm not sure that works on youtube though. I suffered through ads pre-internet I guess, i just take a bathroom break during them.

That's mostly why I hardly use my ROKUs... I hate the lack of control. And any search feature is kludgy. Super-kludgey.

And it's been a while, but yeah, a pie-hole stops youtube ads.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2023, 09:06:48 pm »
Ghostery is working.  I don't see any more ads.  However, some Youtube videos recognize it and won't play unless I disable it.  I mainly listen to concert videos while working which helps with my ADD.  And they now play all the way through without an ad breaking in.  But I still get the 'Are you still there?' prompt from time to time.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-