Author Topic: Loyal Wingman Drone Cost, Capability Concerns Emerge In Defense Bill  (Read 172 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Loyal Wingman Drone Cost, Capability Concerns Emerge In Defense Bill
Legislators want the Air Force and the Navy to be more forthcoming about their collaborative combat drone plans and what they will cost.

BY
JOSEPH TREVITHICK
|
UPDATED DEC 8, 2023 6:22 PM EST
A new draft of the annual U.S. defense policy bill for the 2024 Fiscal Year, which looks set to pass in Congress and become law, would require the Air Force and the Navy to provide new details about the expected costs and capabilities of their future Collaborative Combat Aircraft drones.

Members of Congress want the U.S. Air Force, as well as the U.S. Navy, to better explain how they plan to keep down the costs of their future Collaborative Combat Aircraft drones, or CCAs. Legislators also want more information about the expected capabilities of those uncrewed aircraft and how they will slot into both services' larger tactical aviation plans. The War Zone just recently published a deep dive about how the Air Force looks to be leaning toward CCA designs with less range and higher performance than previously expected, and that are at the top end of previously stated estimated price ranges.

Congressional concerns about the two separate, but heavily interconnected CCA programs are contained in a new draft of the annual defense policy bill, or National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), for Fiscal Year 2024. This bill, details about which were released yesterday, is a compromise that members of the House and Senate have been negotiating the specifics of for weeks.

"The conferees agree that CCAs, procured affordably with reasonably defined capability requirements, fielded in sufficient capacity, based on thoroughly considered analysis and successfully demonstrated concepts of operations and employment beforehand, have the potential to significantly increase the lethality of existing tactical fighter aircraft," according to a report accompanying the new draft NDAA.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/collaborative-combat-aircraft-cost-capability-concerns-emerge-in-congress
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Loyal Wingman Drone Cost, Capability Concerns Emerge In Defense Bill
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 03:37:02 pm »
As our military continues to rot, they just figured out this "wave of the future" is just a ripple? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson