Author Topic: American teenage phenom Ilia Malinin makes more figure skating history and wins Grand Prix Final  (Read 376 times)

Online libertybele

American teenage phenom Ilia Malinin makes more figure skating history and wins Grand Prix Final

American teenage phenomenon Ilia Malinin won his first ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final on Saturday, after he had made even more figure skating history on Thursday.

The 19-year-old became the first person to land a quadruple axel, widely considered the most difficult jump in the sport, during a short program, while competing at one of figure skating’s most prestigious events in Beijing, China.

During the free skate, he then fell attempting to land the quadruple axel again, but brushed off the error to register a career-best score of 207.76 and win the title.

“It’s an incredible feeling to me,” Malinin said afterwards, according to Olympics.com.

He finished with a total of 314.66 points, another personal best, ahead of Japan’s Uno Shoma, the defending champion, who scored 297.34 points.

Malinin, whose Instagram handle “quadg0d” references his history-making exploits, had already landed the jump during a free skate in competitions last year but the stakes are higher in the short program as there is a smaller margin for error with fewer elements in the routine.

“I’m just really glad that I was able to pull it off,” Malinin told reporters after the short program on Thursday, according to Reuters. “Since it was the first time trying it in the short, it was a lot of pressure for me.”

Still the only person to ever complete the quadruple axel in competition, a feat he achieved for the first time at the US International Figure Skating Classic last year, Malinin had removed the impressive jump from his programs this year. ............

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/09/sport/ilia-malinin-figure-skating-grand-prix-final-spt-intl/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 02:26:17 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.