Author Topic: Minneapolis declares public health emergency as homelessness rises  (Read 223 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Minneapolis declares public health emergency as homelessness rises

© Provided by Washington Examiner

The Minneapolis City Council unanimously declared homelessness a "public health emergency" on Thursday, a somewhat toothless move that does little, if anything, to address the recent spike in the number of unsheltered residents.

The "declaration," signed by 13 council members, does not free up emergency funds nor offer immediate ways to deal with the city's homelessness crisis. Instead, it's intended to give council members a bit of leverage in their push to get Democratic Mayor Jacob Frey to delay the cleanup of a large encampment scheduled for next week.

“Be it Further Resolved that the Minneapolis City Council, by declaring unsheltered homelessness a public health emergency, is committed to exploring all policies, actions, partnerships, and investments to urgently and meaningfully address this emergency alongside the Mayor of Minneapolis, and City of Minneapolis workers and leaders,” the resolution reads.

The declaration comes on the heels of supporters of the encampment showing up at a public hearing on the city's budget to oppose the Dec. 14 clearing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/minneapolis-declares-public-health-emergency-as-homelessness-rises/ar-AA1ldNC1
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Minneapolis declares public health emergency as homelessness rises
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 12:37:19 pm »
Just one more of many such liberal success stories! *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson