Author Topic: LEARNING FROM REAL WARS: GAZA AND UKRAINE  (Read 171 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
LEARNING FROM REAL WARS: GAZA AND UKRAINE
« on: December 07, 2023, 02:49:08 pm »
LEARNING FROM REAL WARS: GAZA AND UKRAINE
DAVID BARNO AND NORA BENSAHEL
DECEMBER 6, 2023
SPECIAL SERIES - STRATEGIC OUTPOST

The U.S. military spends untold time, energy, and effort preparing for its future wars. Yet periodically, real wars intrude to shatter hypothetical concepts and show how the ever-changing interaction of doctrine, technology, and leadership affects the character of war. The conflicts raging today in Ukraine and Gaza offer tragic examples of two markedly different kinds of modern wars — one largely a conventional battle between states raging across thousands of kilometers of disputed territory, and the other an unconventional clash between a terrorist group and a state battling in a cramped and densely populated urban area. Although it is still too early to declare any firm lessons from these ongoing conflicts, they can nevertheless illuminate some worrisome gaps in U.S. military thinking about its future conflicts.

Here are three emerging areas where the U.S. military may be significantly unprepared for the rapidly changing character of modern war. They involve the challenges of large-scale urban warfare, a new definition of air superiority, and the fact that some private companies have essentially become combatants.

The Challenges of Large-Scale Urban Warfare

Though U.S. military leaders continue to emphasize the likelihood of future urban operations, they have not done nearly enough to design and prepare their forces for these exceptionally difficult battles. In 2016, then-Chief of Staff of the Army Gen. Mark Milley observed, “In the future, I can say with very high degrees of confidence, the American Army is going to be fighting in urban areas … [but] we’re not organized like that right now.” In 2023, little has changed.

https://warontherocks.com/2023/12/learning-from-real-wars-gaza-and-ukraine/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online DefiantMassRINO

Re: LEARNING FROM REAL WARS: GAZA AND UKRAINE
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 03:36:10 pm »
Urban areas can be besieged or obliterated.

The lesson of Gaza and Ukraine is the importance of having the personnel, materiel, logistics, and supply chain to support and maintain a bitzkrieg offensive.

Modern military offensives need to be wars of rapid movement of a far superior force against a defensive enemy.  "Proportionality" is the antithesis of this tactic which was used successfully in the First Gulf War.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.