Author Topic: 63 migrants crammed into rustic wooden boat intercepted, 5 who'd been deported for felonies arrested  (Read 156 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
63 migrants crammed into rustic wooden boat intercepted, 5 who'd been deported for felonies arrested
by LENNY COHEN | The National DeskTue, December 5th 2023, 6:11 PM EST

AGUADILLA, Puerto Rico (TND) — Authorities intercepted a "yola"-type vessel with 63 undocumented migrants on board and stopped them from entering Puerto Rico.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection said the boat — with “48 males and 6 females from the Dominican Republic, and 8 males and 1 female from Haiti” — had been “navigating east towards the southwestern coast of Puerto Rico” on Friday.

It was trying to make the 80-mile trip from the Dominican Republic

“A voyage on a ‘yola’ is dangerous when boarding a rustic wooden boat, which takes on water during the journey,” Creighton Skeen, Director of Air and Marine Operations in the Caribbean, explained. “These unseaworthy vessels are only fitted with a single engine; they usually try to cross the sea overloaded and without life vests.”

https://mynews4.com/news/nation-world/63-migrants-crammed-yola-rustic-wooden-boat-intercepted-us-cbp-customs-border-protection-felony-conviction-deported-arrested-puerto-rico-dominican-republic-haiti
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson