Author Topic: Survivors of domestic violence accuse military of "purposeful" cover-up  (Read 177 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Survivors of domestic violence accuse military of "purposeful" cover-up
evening-news
BY NORAH O'DONNELL, JESSICA KEGU, CLARE HYMES

DECEMBER 5, 2023 / 7:00 PM EST / CBS NEWS

When the Air Force reopened its investigation into Leah Olszewski's domestic violence case two years ago, they reviewed evidence most would consider damning — bodycam footage of her bruises after she called 911, an audio recording of her ex-partner threatening to knock her teeth out and accounts from four other victims who had experienced similar abuse. But the deadline to file charges came and went, and the military did not pursue the case.

In 2021, the Olszewski case was one of several detailed as part of a CBS News investigation about the military's failure to protect victims of domestic violence and adequately discipline abusers within its ranks. Now, Olszewski, an inactive Reserve Major with the Army, believes the case stands as evidence of a fresh concern — how military brass are generous with promises of reform in the spotlight of a public relations scandal, but less so when the attention fades.

"Leaders should not be making promises that they can't fulfill or have no intention of fulfilling," said Carol Thompson, a former military prosecutor who is representing Olszewski and three other women making similar claims.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/survivors-of-domestic-violence-accuse-military-of-purposeful-cover-up/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Survivors of domestic violence accuse military of "purposeful" cover-up
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 02:50:49 pm »
I can't believe the military would try to cover up something like domestic abuse! *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson