Author Topic: Navy building subs and carrier with ties to Pearl Harbor attack  (Read 157 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy building subs and carrier with ties to Pearl Harbor attack
« on: December 06, 2023, 02:44:23 pm »
Navy building subs and carrier with ties to Pearl Harbor attack
By GARY WARNER
STARS AND STRIPES • December 5, 2023

The Navy is honoring the popular slogan “Remember Pearl Harbor” by naming three submarines and an aircraft carrier after ships and a sailor linked to the Japanese attack that brought the United States into World War II.

Three new Virginia-class, nuclear-powered submarines will be named USS Utah, USS Oklahoma and USS Arizona — the three battleships sunk and never salvaged from the Dec. 7, 1941, attack that killed 2,400 Americans.

The submarines will be joined in a decade by the USS Doris Miller, a new Ford-class aircraft carrier named for the sailor who served as a mess attendant on the battleship USS West Virginia and was awarded the Navy Cross for bravery during the attack. The medal is second only to the Medal of Honor.

https://www.stripes.com/branches/navy/2023-12-05/pearl-harbor-wwii-submarines-aircraft-carrier-12267971.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson