Author Topic: Five times presidential primaries were upended in unexpected ways  (Read 225 times)

Offline corbe

Five times presidential primaries were upended in unexpected ways

BY NIALL STANAGE - 12/04/23 9:29 AM ET

The final Republican primary debate of 2023 is set for Wednesday in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

The clash comes amid a race that has been unusually static.

Former President Trump has retained a massive lead in national polls, as well as in the key early states of Iowa and New Hampshire.

The drama up to now has mostly been around the battle for second place, with former United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley on the brink of eclipsing Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, in part due to strong debate performances.

Trump has declined to participate in the three debates so far and he appears unlikely to change his tune for Wednesday.

The debate is hosted by NewsNation. The Hill and NewsNation are part of Nexstar Media Group.

Still, even though this year’s primary contest seems stable, there is a big historical caveat.

Previous nomination battles have shifted markedly in the final stretch before the first contests or after one startling result.

Here are five dramatic moments in the past 20 years, drawn from both major parties, where expectations were upended.

Democrats, 2004: Howard Dean surges then stumbles, clearing way for John Kerry

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4340748-five-times-presidential-primaries-were-upended-in-unexpected-ways/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Five times presidential primaries were upended in unexpected ways
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 04:14:41 pm »
The Shill keeps spreading that narrative that Haley had strong debate performances.

If coming across as a shrilly whiney bitch is inferred as "strong", then I must have lost my political observational accumen.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 04:17:58 pm »

Democrats, 2004: Howard Dean surges then stumbles, clearing way for John Kerry

Easy, one of the funniest 10 moments in political history.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6i-gYRAwM0
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 04:40:06 pm »
This predictably poor reporting by The Hill is all conventional thinking.  Reading the article is a waste of time.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: