Author Topic: ‘Inclusive’ Virginia Festival Cancels Menorah Lighting, Claims Ceremony Favors Israel  (Read 304 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

‘Inclusive’ Virginia Festival Cancels Menorah Lighting, Claims Ceremony Favors Israel
Story by Luther Ray Abel  •
11h

LoveLight Placemaking, the organizer of the Second Sundays Art and Music Festival in Williamsburg, Va., has canceled a scheduled Hanukkah celebration, including the lighting of a menorah, on December 10. The decision follows concerns related to the Israel–Hamas conflict.

Shirley Vermillion, the festival’s founder, cited logistical challenges and sensitivity to the ongoing Israel–Hamas conflict as reasons for the cancellation. “The concern is of folks feeling like we are siding with a group over the other . . . not a direction we ever decide to head,” Vermillion said. She emphasized the festival’s inclusive nature and mentioned scheduling conflicts as well as a reluctance to have the festival engage in religious activities. Vermillion said that past requests from various religious groups, specifically Christian organizations, to perform at the festival were denied — a policy seemingly at odds with the festival’s frequent appeals to inclusivity in its marketing material.

The United Jewish Community of the Virginia Peninsula expressed “shock and alarm” at LoveLight Placemaking’s decision. The UJC organization clarified that the menorah lighting, led by a local rabbi, was not political and had no connection to the Israel–Hamas war. They argued that it’s antisemitic to hold Jews collectively responsible for Israel’s policies and actions.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/inclusive-virginia-festival-cancels-menorah-lighting-claims-ceremony-favors-israel/ar-AA1kWsr0?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=435a93bb78804f6d869fcf5df8cba02b&ei=41
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy