Author Topic: The Curious Fraud Case Against Trump Just Got ‘Curiouser’  (Read 342 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Curious Fraud Case Against Trump Just Got ‘Curiouser’
« on: December 03, 2023, 06:26:46 pm »
The Curious Fraud Case Against Trump Just Got ‘Curiouser’

Below is my column in The Messenger on the recent testimony of bankers in the Trump fraud trial. The testimony put the controversial demands of New York Attorney General James into sharp relief. The issue is not whether it is appropriate to fine businesses for under or over valuing property, but rather the nuclear option pursued by James in seeking effective dissolution of the company and a quarter of a billion dollars in penalities.

Here is the column:

“Curiouser and curiouser.” Those words from Alice in Wonderland seem the only apt description of the case unfolding in the New York courtroom of Justice Arthur F. Engoron over the alleged fraudulent practices of former president Donald Trump, his family and his business.

The charges brought by New York State Attorney General Letitia James were curious from the start. James had run for office on the pledge that she would hunt down Trump, a promise that apparently thrilled many New Yorkers. However, she brought a civil case based on Trump over- and under-estimating the values of his properties.

https://jonathanturley.org/2023/12/03/the-curious-fraud-case-against-trump-just-got-curiouser/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson