Author Topic: Texas must remove Rio Grande migrant barrier, US appeals court rules  (Read 265 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Texas must remove Rio Grande migrant barrier, US appeals court rules
Story by By Daniel Wiessner  •
15h

By Daniel Wiessner

(Reuters) - Texas must remove a 1,000-foot-long (305-meter) floating barrier it placed in the Rio Grande river to deter migrants from illegally crossing the border with Mexico, a U.S. appeals court ruled on Friday in a victory for President Joe Biden's administration.

The New Orleans-based 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in a 2-1 decision declined a request by the Republican-governed state to reverse a federal judge's decision ordering it to move the string of buoys placed in the Rio Grande in July near Eagle Pass, Texas.

The 5th Circuit decided that the shallow waters where the buoys were placed were navigable, meaning that a U.S. environmental law requires Texas to receive permission from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers before installing them.

The administration has argued that the barrier is unlawfully blocking navigation and poses humanitarian concerns.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-must-remove-rio-grande-migrant-barrier-us-appeals-court-rules/ar-AA1kRmlp
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Texas must remove Rio Grande migrant barrier, US appeals court rules
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 11:53:41 am »

The administration has argued that the barrier is unlawfully blocking navigation and poses humanitarian concerns.

barrier is unlawfully blocking navigation and poses humanitarian concerns.

They must have felt swimming constitutes "navigation" and any river constitutes "humanitarian concerns" of drowning. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 01:52:21 pm »
Pull it up on shore, then.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 02:01:00 pm »
Took a little wiki-digging, but all three judges are GOP appointed.  2 by Trump, and one by "W"

So, so much for the political angle.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 10:37:37 pm »
Fishrrman's conondrum:
If we are to save "the rule of law", we must at some point abandon it, temporarily, in order to do so.