Author Topic: No more late night beer runs — AAFES to end overnight alcohol sales in 2024  (Read 182 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
No more late night beer runs — AAFES to end overnight alcohol sales in 2024
In a move aimed at suicide prevention. stores on Army and Air Force bases worldwide will stop selling alcohol after 10 p.m.

BY MATT WHITE | PUBLISHED NOV 30, 2023 7:25 PM EST

New Year’s Eve is often celebrated with friends, songs, and drinks.

But as soon as the clock strikes midnight in 2024, anyone celebrating on an Army or Air Force base will have to make do with just friends and songs for a few extra hours.

Beginning January 1, buying booze will be off-limits until the morning.

Starting in 2024, AAFES, which runs hundreds of retail outlets on Air Force and Army bases worldwide, will cut the hours it sells alcohol at all of its stores. Beer, wine, and spirits will only be sold between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. at all Base Exchanges, Shoppettes, Express shops, Class Six, and other stores run by AAFES.

Officials say the goal of the change isn’t punishment for troops or even aimed at reducing bad behavior. Rather, the move is part of a Pentagon-wide effort to implement recommendations made last summer by the Suicide Prevention and Response Independent Review Committee.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/no-more-late-night-beer-runs-aafes-to-end-overnight-alcohol-sales-in-2024/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson