Author Topic: Senate Dems say any changes to asylum system must be coupled with amnesty for illegal immigrants  (Read 166 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Senate Dems say any changes to asylum system must be coupled with amnesty for illegal immigrants
Republicans have pushed for additional border security measures and asylum limits
By Adam Shaw Fox News
Published December 1, 2023 9:30am EST

Senate Democrats are warning about what they say could be "harmful changes" to the asylum system, amid ongoing negotiations about the supplemental aid package requested by the Biden administration for aid to Ukraine and Israelm, arguing that permanent policy changes must be coupled with a pathway to legal status for illegal immigrants already in the U.S.

"As negotiations surrounding the supplemental aid package progress, we are concerned about reports of harmful changes to our asylum system that will potentially deny lifesaving humanitarian protection for vulnerable people, including children, and fail to deliver any meaningful improvement to the situation at the border," a coalition of 11 Democratic senators said on Wednesday.

The senators on the statement are Sens. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., Alex Padilla, D-Calif., Dick Durbin, D-Ill., Cory Booker, D-N.J., Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, Ben Ray Lujan, D-N.M., Edward Markey, D-Mass., Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., and Ron Wyden, D-Ore.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrats-fume-at-prospect-of-harmful-limits-to-asylum-claims-as-part-of-supplemental-funding-deal
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Republicans must be breathing a combined sigh of relief they don't have to fight over immigration and get back to really important business like naming federal office buildings or military bases. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson