Author Topic: Cell Phones at Boot Camp: Navy Will Let Some Recruits Use Their Devices  (Read 149 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Cell Phones at Boot Camp: Navy Will Let Some Recruits Use Their Devices

Military.com | By Konstantin Toropin
Published November 29, 2023 at 4:58pm ET

The Navy's boot camp at Great Lakes, Illinois, says it will start letting recruits have some access to cell phones while they are in training.

"Over the next few weeks," recruits in two divisions -- units of roughly 60 to 80 sailors -- "will have limited access to their cell phones during designated periods of training in order to connect with family and friends and manage personal matters," the Navy announced in a Facebook post Tuesday.

Beyond the announcement, the service offered few details about the policy change that promises to be a major shift in recruits' experience at boot camp and one that is already proving controversial among outside observers.

Typically, Navy recruits have had little access to the outside world or their personal phones while undergoing the difficult early days of training to be a sailor. Instead, recruits still make use of a large room filled with pay phones several times during their 10-week stay at Great Lakes.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/11/29/cell-phones-boot-camp-navy-will-let-some-recruits-use-their-devices.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Cell Phones at Boot Camp: Navy Will Let Some Recruits Use Their Devices
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 06:13:02 pm »
Will they be able to bring teddy bears and sofblankies with them to help them fall asleep? *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson