Author Topic: CAIR’s ‘Journalist’s Guide to Reporting on Islam and Muslims’: Fooling the Fourth Estate  (Read 173 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
CAIR’s ‘Journalist’s Guide to Reporting on Islam and Muslims’: Fooling the Fourth Estate
OCT 9, 2021 1:00 PM BY STEPHEN M. KIRBY

On August 23, 2021, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) released a new edition of “A Journalist’s Guide to Reporting on Islam and Muslims.” This guide was

…designed to give journalists and other media professionals the tools they need to gain a better understanding of Islam and write more informed, accurate and balanced stories about Muslims… It offers “background information about Islam and Muslims, best practices for reporting on the Islamic faith and a list of accurate and appropriate terminology to employ when covering issues relating to Muslims.”[1]

The Journalist’s Guide is available here.

Unfortunately, for journalists who have an interest in truly understanding Islam, CAIR’s “guide” will only lead them astray. Here are some examples from the Journalist’s Guide that act to misguide instead of to guide.

Jihad does not mean holy war

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2021/10/cairs-journalists-guide-to-reporting-on-islam-and-muslims-fooling-the-fourth-estate
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson