Author Topic: Americans need an extra $11,400 today just to afford the basics  (Read 304 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Americans need an extra $11,400 today just to afford the basics
« on: November 29, 2023, 03:23:21 pm »
Americans need an extra $11,400 today just to afford the basics

BY AIMEE PICCHI

NOVEMBER 29, 2023 / 5:00 AM EST / MONEYWATCH

The typical American household must spend an additional $11,434 annually just to maintain the same standard of living they enjoyed in January of 2021, right before inflation soared to 40-year highs, according to a recent analysis of government data.

Such figures underscore the financial squeeze many families continue to face even as the the rate of U.S. inflation recedes and the economy by many measures remains strong, with the jobless rate at a two-decade low.

Even so, many Americans say they aren't feeling those gains, and this fall more people reported struggling financially than they did prior to the pandemic, according to CBS News polling. Inflation is the main reason Americans express pessimism about economy despite its bright points, which also include stronger wage gains in recent years.

"On the edge"
Average hourly pay for workers has increased robust 13.6% since January 2021, although that lags the 17% increase in inflation during the same period, according to government data. The main categories requiring heavier spending for consumers simply to tread water: food, transportation, housing and energy, which together account for almost 80 cents of every $1 in additional spending, according to the analysis from Republican members of the U.S. Senate Joint Economic Committee.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/inflation-households-need-extra-11400-these-states-its-even-higher/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Americans need an extra $11,400 today just to afford the basics
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 03:24:18 pm »
Bidenomics is working like a charm! :3:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online DB

Re: Americans need an extra $11,400 today just to afford the basics
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 03:35:08 pm »
Trump laid the ground work for this inflation. It was on his watch that he spent huge amounts of money that was simply created out of thin air. It was on his watch he paid people not to work and encouraging "non-essential" businesses to shut down. The consequences were coming no matter who was elected next.