Author Topic: Early Ford carrier maintenance costs lower than planned, Navy says  (Read 181 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Early Ford carrier maintenance costs lower than planned, Navy says
By Megan Eckstein
 Nov 28, 05:59 PM

ARLINGTON, Va. ­— The first-in-class aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford may cost less over its life than planned because of reduced maintenance costs, a program manager said today at an American Society of Naval Engineers conference here.

Capt. Brian Metcalf said the new Ford carrier was designed with automation that allows for a smaller crew as well as improvements to the hull that will allow the ship to require three major docked maintenance availabilities during its lifetime, instead of the five required by the legacy Nimitz class.

In total, he said, the Ford class is now slated to cost about $5 billion per ship per year less than its predecessor, the Nimitz class. That exceeds the target of $4 billion per ship per year in savings.

He told Defense News lower maintenance costs account for the savings.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2023/11/28/early-ford-carrier-maintenance-costs-lower-than-planned-navy-says/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Early Ford carrier maintenance costs lower than planned, Navy says
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 02:49:11 pm »
This is how that scam works.  If you think maintenance will be $500,000 you ask for a million.  That way there is extra money built in for what are sure to be problems unforeseen.  Most likely money will be left over to waste or have a party with.  Then you can brag about how efficiently things are being run instead of begging for more money.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson