Author Topic: ‘We’re taking it out of hide’: Pentagon says it has no money for Middle East buildup  (Read 157 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘We’re taking it out of hide’: Pentagon says it has no money for Middle East buildup
Under the temporary budget, funding is frozen at the previous year’s levels.

By LARA SELIGMAN

11/28/2023 12:58 PM EST

Updated: 11/28/2023 01:20 PM EST

The Defense Department has ordered an additional aircraft carrier strike group, air defenses, fighter jets and hundreds of troops to the Middle East since the surprise terrorist attacks on Israel on Oct. 7, in an effort to prevent the conflict from spiraling into a regional war.

The problem: Congressional dysfunction means the Pentagon has no money to pay for the buildup.

The military, like the rest of the federal government, is operating under a temporary funding measure that freezes spending at the previous year’s levels. And because the Middle East troop movements weren’t planned, the Pentagon has had to pull money from existing operations and maintenance accounts, DOD spokesperson Chris Sherwood said. President Joe Biden signed the stopgap measure this month to keep the government open until lawmakers can agree on a full-year spending bill.

Because DOD had to hunt for funds, that means less money for training, exercises and deployments the military had already planned for the year. Some contractual payments could be delayed, Sherwood said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/28/pentagon-scrambles-to-pay-for-middle-east-troop-buildup-00128882
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
No build-up, but the Pentagon will do whatever it takes to defend Iran and Hamas! :im waiting:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson