Author Topic: I'm sending my name to Jupiter's moon Europa on a NASA spacecraft — and here's why you should, too  (Read 614 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
n 2024, if all goes to plan, a spacecraft named the Europa Clipper will embark on a journey to an icy, gray moon of Jupiter covered in rust-colored gashes. It will swim along the Jovian satellite's gravitational tides, half facing the orb from orbit, half exposed to the airless ocean of space. And alongside its high-tech spectrometer, radar system, optical imager and other instruments built to search for proof of alien habitats, the Europa Clipper will be bringing my name. It can bring yours, too.

You just have to sign up for NASA's free "Message in a Bottle program" here. The campaign closes at 11:59 p.m. EST on Dec. 31 (0459 GMT on Jan. 1); at the time I'm writing this, almost 900,000 names have been entered.

If you're unsure why this matters, however, you're not alone. Right after signing my name, and honestly before I even knew what that would entail, I thought pretty deeply about why I want this to happen. After all, the spacecraft won't be landing anywhere. There's no one on Europa to receive our message. Each name is one among hundreds of thousands of others. Even our names are simply intangible concepts created to denote our existence, an idea that linguists and philosophers have plunged into for years. Without us, what are our names? Without anyone to read them, where have they truly gone?

https://www.space.com/nasa-clipper-moon-jupiter-europa-human-names-microchip
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I am game as long as it doesn't end up with any more additional Medicare Robocalls.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I am game as long as it doesn't end up with any more additional Medicare Robocalls.
I'm more concerned with some Jovian knocking on my door looking for a place to stay on their vacation :whistle:

Could be worse, could be Martians or Venutians :silly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msKubf4fE8E
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 01:45:30 am by GtHawk »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"Your satellite warranty is about to expire..."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Are you sure it's not a scam to sell NASA timeshares on Mars?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Are you sure it's not a scam to sell NASA timeshares on Mars?

Right!!  Why else would they need your email address!!  :shrug: :shrug:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS – EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.