Author Topic: Young Americans aren't marrying. Politics helps explain why.  (Read 405 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Young Americans aren't marrying. Politics helps explain why.
« on: November 28, 2023, 01:39:36 am »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/11/22/marriage-polarization-dating-trump/

If attitudes don’t shift, a political dating mismatch will threaten marriage
from The Washington Post Editorial Board
November 22, 2023

The problem with polarization, though, is that it has effects well beyond the political realm, and these can be difficult to anticipate. One example is the collapse of American marriage. A growing number of young women are discovering that they can’t find suitable male partners. As a whole, men are increasingly struggling with, or suffering from, higher unemployment, lower rates of educational attainment, more drug addiction and deaths of despair, and generally less purpose and direction in their lives. But it’s not just that. There’s a growing ideological divide, too. Since Mr. Trump’s election in 2016, the percentage of single women ages 18-30 who identify as liberal has shot up from slightly over 20 percent to 32 percent. Young men have not followed suit. If anything, they have grown more conservative.

In another era, political or ideological differences might have had less impact on marriage rates. But, increasingly, the political is personal. A 2021 survey of college students found that 71 percent of Democrats would not date someone with opposing views. There is some logic to this. Marriage across religious or political lines — if either partner considers those things to be central to their identity — can be associated with lower levels of life satisfaction. And politics is becoming more central to people’s identity.

This mismatch means that someone will need to compromise. As the researchers Lyman Stone and Brad Wilcox have noted, about 1 in 5 young singles will have little choice but to marry someone outside their ideological tribe. The other option is that they decline to get married at all — not an ideal outcome considering the data showing that marriage is good for the health of societies and individuals alike.

(excerpt—may be soft paywalled)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Young Americans aren't marrying. Politics helps explain why.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 06:58:05 am »
Maybe in the bi-coastal areas, but in the Midwest and South it is thriving. Everybody's still pairing up and having kids like always.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 05:58:34 pm »
FTA:

The other option is that they decline to get married at all — not an ideal outcome considering the data showing that marriage is good for the health of societies and individuals alike.

I am deeply shocked there is anybody at WaPo willing to admit this.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 06:55:29 pm »
Cost of living is too high in Blue States.

Younger generation is more transactional.

If someone is overy ideological, they probably come off as major A-holes and buzzkills.

Life can be good, fun, and enjoyable when you're not battling to reshape the universe in your own image every waking moment of every damned day.

Sometimes, peeps just need some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and they're fine.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.