Author Topic: To Shrink Learning Gap, This District Offers Classes Separated by Race  (Read 1176 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Wall Street Journal
By Sara RandazzoFollow
and Douglas BelkinFollow
Nov. 26, 2023

EVANSTON, Ill.— School leaders in this college town just north of Chicago have been battling a sizable academic achievement gap between Black, Latino and white students for decades. So a few years ago, the school district decided to try something new at the high school: classrooms voluntarily separated by race.

Nearly 200 Black and Latino students at Evanston Township High School signed up this year for math classes and a writing seminar intended for students of the same race, taught by a teacher of color. These optional so-called affinity classes are designed to address the achievement gap by making students feel more comfortable in class, district leaders have said, particularly in Advanced Placement courses that historically have enrolled few Black and Latino students.

“Our Black students are, for lack of a better word…at the bottom, consistently still. And they are being outperformed consistently,” Monique Parsons, Evanston school board vice president, said at a November board meeting. “It’s not good.”

(more)
https://www.wsj.com/us-news/education/to-shrink-learning-gap-this-district-offers-classes-separated-by-race-394d82dd
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline libertybele

Re: To Shrink Learning Gap, This District Offers Classes Separated by Race
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 01:59:02 am »
(I couldn't read the entire article as I am not a subscriber to WSJ).

Sigh. This sounds like segregation to me, and an even bigger push to reverse any racial progress that has been made.

So who's fault is it? Ultimately the student and the parent(s) of the student.  Busing Blacks into White schools didn't do any good. They also brought in Black teachers into the White schools and that didn't work any better.  It was proven that the majority of the Black students still under performed White students.  Same education, same chance to excel. Lack of motivation or perhaps feeling that it didn't matter as the gov't would take care of them -- and that is the fault of LBJ.

I thought for certain that LBJ would continue to be the worst president, but evil Joe has him beat. Sad, sad, sad.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 02:02:28 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 02:22:57 am »

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 02:37:39 am »
How about separating the classes, from the git go, on the basis of academic ability, as demonstrated.

We had 14 sections of  eighth grade, with 8-1 scoring highest on standardized tests and 8-14 the lowest. Those classes could move at a pace commensurate with their abilities, without leaving classmates behind, but those who excelled were also not held back.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 02:49:35 am »
Same ole crappola - it's the fault of the Whites!!!!!!!!  9999hair out0000
Weird ... it's not happening to me at all? I don't know ...

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 04:04:16 am »
Quote from: article
  Federal antidiscrimination laws prevent public schools from mandatorily separating students by race, but education lawyers say optional courses can comply with the law.

If grading is on a scale, odds are those that join those classes could get a better grade. I would probable demand to be allowed in, despite my skin pigment shade.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 10:55:38 am »
For those of us who were direct particpants in desegregation of the late '60's and early '70's.....

:thud:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 11:00:53 am »

I thought for certain that LBJ would continue to be the worst president, but evil Joe has him beat. Sad, sad, sad.

These license plates were highly prevelant in our parts circa 1968.......

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2023, 11:42:51 am »
Radical Blacks are demanding 'Black Only' everything. Black only dorms, Black only areas on campus, Black only graduation, etc.

I think they do not know that most White people either do not care or they support Black self-segregation 100%.

I do not understand what the radical Blacks think this is accomplishing? But, whatever it is I fully support their initiative.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2023, 10:35:50 pm »
What's not to like here?

Plessy v. Ferguson all over again.

"Separate, but equal".

Works for me.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 02:44:17 am by Fishrrman »

Offline corbe

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2023, 10:40:21 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 11:51:54 pm »
Sigh. This sounds like segregation to me, and an even bigger push to reverse any racial progress that has been made.

Or maybe apartheid.  After all, the official name for that policy was "separate development".
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2023, 07:34:30 am »
The only problem I have is which classes are going to be held back?

I would much rather see classes formed on a basis of academic ability and taught at their own respective paces. Let anyone in who can qualify, and let that qualification be the incentive to excel.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis