Author Topic: Study: About 2M low-income British households resort to unplugging refrigerators due to soaring elec  (Read 876 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Study: About 2M low-income British households resort to unplugging refrigerators due to soaring electricity bills
11/22/2023 // Belle Carter 

According to a study conducted by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF), about two million poor households in the United Kingdom are resorting to desperate measures such as turning off refrigerators or freezers, just to be able to cope with ever-soaring bills.
The independent social change organization "working to solve U.K. poverty" said that in October, a quarter, or 2.8 million, of low-income households had incurred debts to pay for food, a third had sold belongings to raise cash, and one in six had used so-called community "warm rooms." Also, four out of five households on universal credit were going without food, switching off heating and not replacing worn-out clothing. Nearly a million households said that since May, they had to disconnect their fridge or freezer for the first time.

"Millions of families unplugging their fridges and freezers is the latest chapter in a long-running story of hardship," Peter Matejic, chief analyst at the JRF, was quoted as saying. "People risk becoming sick from eating spoiled food and going without healthy, fresh food. This risks lasting harm to the health of millions." He also said that the picture is not getting better for poor families even as inflation starts to come down. "Too many are taking out loans to pay for food, selling their belongings and using warm banks to try and get by," he said.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2023-11-22-2m-poor-households-resort-to-unplugging-fridge.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Coming soon to an America near you! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
He also said that the picture is not getting better for poor families even as inflation starts to come down.

Maybe it's because even thought the inflation rate is lower, the cost of everything is still very high and still getting higher. Obviously the author of this piece is a

Online LMAO

That should put strain on their NHS when  all those people need to be hospitalized due to food poisoning
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online libertybele

Coming soon to an America near you! :whistle:

It's here. Prices are astronomically ridiculous for everything and I'm afraid that they are here to stay (of course), and the ever shrinking packaging continues.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It's here. Prices are astronomically ridiculous for everything

I agree.

and I'm afraid that they are here to stay (of course), and the ever shrinking packaging continues.

Nope,once "The  Borg" assumes  power,the prices will drop because  the government  will have a iron-fist control over prices  as well as wages.

NO factory or other place of employment will operate independently  of government mandates as to pricing and hours,and NO business will be allowed to pay employees more than the amount decreed by the gooberment.

We will ALL live in gooberment housing,and  we WILL love it,by  order of the Supreme Council!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That should put strain on their NHS when  all those people need to be hospitalized due to food poisoning
It's winter. Dump the flowers out of the window box, give it a scrub, find/buy/make a lid and keep the chill stuff that has a high turnover in there. Need some milk for your tea, open the window.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It's winter. Dump the flowers out of the window box, give it a scrub, find/buy/make a lid and keep the chill stuff that has a high turnover in there. Need some milk for your tea, open the window.

@Smokin Joe

The local cats are going to be LOVING that one unless all that stuff is sealed very tightly.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

The local cats are going to be LOVING that one unless all that stuff is sealed very tightly.
All the more reason to put a lid on it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I would think the biggest energy gobble would be a heat in winter/air condition in summer and a hot water heater. A refrigerator is probable peanuts compared to hot water (and a dryer). Wash clothes in cold water (I don't have hot hooked up to my washer).

I imagine most of these are already being utilized, sometimes things are just tough. I remember wrapping the whole house in plastic in the Winter, the house was drafty (and a renter). It helped. We once had a fridge dying, didn't have money to replace it yet, so we froze things in the winter cold and placed them in the fridge to milk the fridge until we could find a used cheap replacement. Clothes-lines, and frozen solid socks results at times. We used those wooden racks inside during the winter to dry clothes. We still have a clothes-line in the yard, and nothing smells better than linen for the beds after being dried in the sun.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online roamer_1

...And like every northern redneck, move the freezer out on the porch and crack the lid in the winter...  :whistle:

Online mountaineer

My sister studied music in Vienna, Austria, over 35 years ago, and the cost of electricity was astronomical. She turned off the heating unit in her little apartment as often as she could tolerate - just sat there freezing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org