Author Topic: Democratic cities brace for a nightmare winter housing migrants  (Read 176 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Democratic cities brace for a nightmare winter housing migrants
Story by By Shia Kapos, Lisa Kashinsky and Katelyn Cordero  •
1d

Migrants in Chicago huddle on the floors of police stations and sleep in city buses kept running overnight to block out the cold. In Massachusetts, where the emergency shelter system hit capacity earlier this month, the state is converting office space into shelters and at least one local group is stockpiling sleeping bags.

And in New York, where shelters are also full, the city has taken the extraordinary steps of providing migrants one-way plane tickets to as far away as Morocco and have contemplated handing out tents to newly-arriving migrants so they can sleep in parks.

Northern cities and states that have been overwhelmed by a surge in migrants are now out of room to house them just as the weather turns cold — a potentially life-threatening situation that’s inflaming local political tensions as the Biden administration largely leaves these Democratic strongholds to fend for themselves.

“The state that took my ancestors in fleeing from pogroms in Ukraine will not allow asylum seekers to freeze to death on our doorsteps,” Gov. JB Pritzker said last week, referring to his family’s immigration to Illinois.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/democratic-cities-brace-for-a-nightmare-winter-housing-migrants/ar-AA1ksOAG?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c77a0f4c56014e7b9f1bf9e2fcea1a8d&ei=192
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson