Author Topic: United Nations chief slammed as Gaza death comparison fact-checked by social media: 'lost any moral  (Read 214 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

United Nations chief slammed as Gaza death comparison fact-checked by social media: 'lost any moral standing'
Story by Peter Aitken  •
1d

Social media platform X hit United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres with a community note that countered a claim he made about the deaths in the Gaza Strip as Israel continues its offensive against Hamas.

The official U.N. News account on X posted several quotes from Guterres’s press conference on Monday, when he insisted, "We are witnessing a killing of civilians that is unparalleled and unprecedented in any conflict since I have been Secretary-General."

The post received a community note, which allows users to provide additional context for "posts that might be misleading," pointing to at least two conflicts with significant death tolls either equal to or above the death toll in the Gaza Strip - the Syrian civil war and the Yemen War, which have seen hundreds of thousands killed.

An Israeli official told Fox News Digital, "The Secretary-General has lost any moral standing. He willfully ignores the thousands of civilians killed in conflicts in Ukraine, Syria, Yemen, and elsewhere, as he pursues vilification of Israel. Shame on him."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/united-nations-chief-slammed-as-gaza-death-comparison-fact-checked-by-social-media-lost-any-moral-standing/ar-AA1kiIhP?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=000dd60a3f8e450d9d1b1a17d9098dda&ei=13
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson