Author Topic: Latino community advocates in East Texas express concerns over bill allowing local police officers t  (Read 223 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Latino community advocates in East Texas express concerns over bill allowing local police officers to arrest and deport undocumeted immigrants

Watch KLTV 7 News at 10.
By Noemy Sanchez
Published: Nov. 22, 2023 at 8:23 AM EST|Updated: 2 hours ago

TYLER, Texas (KLTV) -Immigration legislation, Senate Bill 4 is headed to Governor Greg Abbott’s desk to be signed into law.

Supporters say that authority is needed in Texas, due to federal inaction. However, citizenship teacher for immigrants in Tyler, Paulina Pedroza, shares she is worried about the effects this law would have.

“I work very closely with our immigrant community on a daily basis, and my community is worried about what is going on”

The bill has been a source of controversy around the state and the country recently. The bill would make it a state crime to enter Texas illegally from Mexico, and would allow Texas police officers to arrest and deport anyone they suspect of entering the U.S. illegally.

https://www.kltv.com/2023/11/22/latino-community-advocates-east-texas-express-concerns-over-bill-allowing-local-police-officers-arrest-deport-undocumeted-immigrants/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If they're bellyaching, it must be a great law. :yowsa:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Thomas Jefferson