Author Topic: Maryland hate crimes commission member under fire for pro-Hamas posts  (Read 479 times)

Online mountaineer

Maryland hate crimes commission member under fire for pro-Hamas posts
Zainab Chaudry, the Maryland director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, took to Facebook to call Hamas terrorists ‘freedom fighters’ and compare Israel to Nazi Germany
By Gabby Deutch
November 20, 2023
Full story at Jewish Insider
When Maryland Attorney General Anthony Brown announced the inaugural members of the state’s Commission on Hate Crime Response and Prevention in August, he said Maryland residents “deserve a safe and inclusive state” and pledged to develop strategies to address hate crimes.

Now, one of the members of the commission is facing criticism from a Jewish colleague and from the Jewish legislator who created the commission for comments she has made in the wake of Hamas’ Oct. 7 terrorist attack in Israel.

In a series of Facebook posts published on and after Oct. 7, Zainab Chaudry, the director of the Maryland branch of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, offered praise for Hamas terrorists, compared Israel to Nazi Germany and called the wide swath of Jewish Americans who attended last week’s March for Israel in Washington “genocide sympathizers.”   ...

Two days later, Chaudry took to Facebook to suggest that Hamas terrorists are “freedom fighters.”

“Ukrainian freedom fighters = heroes. Palestinian freedom fighters = terrorists,” Chaudry wrote. “That’s how Western media and pundits spin the narrative.” The U.S., the European Union and several other countries have designated Hamas to be a terrorist organization. A spokesperson for Maryland’s attorney general told JI that “the views and opinions of any individual Commission member do not reflect those” of the commission or of the attorney general.   ...

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Maryland hate crimes commission member under fire for pro-Hamas posts
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 04:24:17 pm »
An official on Maryland’s Commission on Hate Crime Response compared Israel to Nazi Germany in a series of social-media posts and claimed that reports of Hamas murdering Jewish babies were “fake.”

Zainab Chaudry is the Maryland director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) and was appointed to the hate-crime commission by Maryland attorney general Anthony Brown in August. Made up of 20 stakeholder representatives, the group is designed to “develop strategies to prevent and respond to hate crime activity and evaluate state laws and policies relating to hate crimes.” The commission’s first annual report to the General Assembly is slated for December 2024 and will detail recommendations on how to address hate crimes.

Following Hamas’s October 7 massacre of 1,200 Israelis, Chaudry made a series of antisemitic social media posts. On October 17, she posted a photo of Israeli flags at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin next to a photo of Nazi Germany flags at the same gate in 1936. She captioned the post: “That moment when you become what you hated most.”

Directly after Hamas invaded Israel, she referred to the attack on Facebook as an “uprising in Palestine,” and asked followers to remember that Palestinians “are a people who are illegally occupied.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/maryland-hate-crime-commission-official-compares-israel-to-nazi-germany/ar-AA1kj8xi?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=dbee64af92da4a57a85b451f76989c42&ei=12
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Maryland hate crimes commission member under fire for pro-Hamas posts
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 04:26:49 pm »

reports of Hamas murdering Jewish babies were “fake.”

I think Joseph Goebbels said the same thing.  Muslims and Nazis were allies, after all.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson