Author Topic: Appeals Court Deals Blow To Voting Rights Act — Here’s How It Could Impact The 2024 Election  (Read 208 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Forbes by Alison Durkee 11/21/2023

A federal appeals court ruled Monday that only the federal government, not private citizens or organizations, can bring lawsuits against allegedly racially discriminatory voting rules — a decision that critics call a “travesty for democracy” and is likely to impact Midwestern states ahead of the 2024 election and ultimately head to the Supreme Court.

Key Facts

The 8th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in an Arkansas redistricting case that only the U.S. Attorney General has the power to bring lawsuits under section two of the Voting Rights Act, which prohibits voting rules that “discriminate on the basis of race, color, or membership” in a “language minority group.”

The ruling upends how voting rules have traditionally been challenged, with most lawsuits brought by private voters or organizations like the NAACP or American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), with election law expert Rick Hasen noting “the Supreme Court and lower courts have for decades allowed such cases to be brought” by private groups.

As it stands now, the ruling only applies to the states that are covered by the 8th Circuit — Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota — meaning it will be significantly harder to challenge voting rules in those states ahead of the 2024 election as long as this ruling stands.

Plaintiffs in the case (which include the NAACP and ACLU) can still ask the full 8th Circuit to hear the case, rather than just the three-judge panel that issued Monday’s ruling, and can appeal the case to the Supreme Court.

The case is widely expected to head to the Supreme Court, particularly given that it conflicts with a ruling the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals issued earlier in November that upheld the right of private plaintiffs to sue under the law, and noted other appeals courts have come to the same conclusion that a private right to bring lawsuits under that section exists.

Should the Supreme Court uphold the 8th Circuit’s ruling, that would make it significantly harder to challenge voting rules nationwide, which could have widespread effects for the 2024 election should the court take up the case this term.

Key Background

The case at the heart of the 8th Circuit’s ruling alleged Arkansas’ newly drawn congressional map unlawfully diluted votes from Black residents, arguing that while Black voters make up 16% of the state’s electorate, the way the maps were drawn meant only 11% of their preferred candidates would win. A lower district court judge, appointed by former President Donald Trump, ruled in February 2022 that while he believed the plaintiffs had a “strong merits case” that the maps could violate the Voting Rights Act, he couldn’t rule in their favor because he believed the plaintiffs didn’t have the right to bring the case at all. If the Supreme Court takes the 8th Circuit’s ruling up, it will be the latest in a string of cases the high court has considered involving the Voting Rights Act, including rulings that have weakened the law and limited its scope with Shelby County v. Holder in 2013, Abbott v. Perez in 2018 and Brnovich v. Democratic National Committee in 2021. In June, the court surprised voting rights advocates when it upheld the Voting Rights Act’s section two protections in a ruling that struck down Alabama’s redrawn map as racially discriminatory.

More: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QxHFjJQ6Z0IJ:https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2023/11/21/appeals-court-deals-blow-to-voting-rights-act---heres-how-it-could-impact-the-2024-election/&hl=en&gl=us

Online DefiantMassRINO

Both sides Gerrymander.  Power is taken, not given.

////00000////

... started in Massachusetts ... named for Elbridge Gerry ... his district map resembled a salamander ... hence, Gerry-mander

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Wow. North Dakota requires photo ID....

I wonder if that will be challenged as rasis or sumpin'
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis