Author Topic: California’s Bullet Train: What Are We Doing Wrong?  (Read 573 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
California’s Bullet Train: What Are We Doing Wrong?
« on: November 21, 2023, 01:26:06 pm »
Published |Updated
William D. Fletcher

During a recent trip to Japan, I had several opportunities to ride its bullet train, the Shinkansen. The rides were smooth, quiet and comfortable, a great way to travel between cities.

The Shinkansen was developed in the 1970s and now includes about 1,800 miles of track connecting major cities in Japan. The Shinkansen travels at 200 miles per hour. The next generation, expected by 2030, will travel even faster. The Shinkansen is part of a well-integrated train system that includes local trains that run on frequent schedules covering most of Japan.

If Japan, China and France can have cost-effective high-speed rail systems, why not the U.S.?

China and California started their high-speed rail system about the same time, around 2008. China now has about 26,000 miles of high-speed rail connecting 180 cities. In comparison, California does not have a single mile of useable track.

As a resident of California, I’m aware of the state’s High-Speed Rail project. It’s over budget by billions of dollars, way behind schedule and funding to complete the project may never be available. Why is California in this situation when other countries already have well-developed systems that we could have copied? In 2008, we could have contracted with or joint-ventured with Japanese or French organizations to build a system using their proven technology.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/california-s-bullet-train-what-are-we-doing-wrong/ar-AA1kbjpa?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7dc124477cbf4e1389d1f2f68bdd7307&ei=67
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: California’s Bullet Train: What Are We Doing Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 01:28:57 pm »
Maybe if L.A. and San Fransicko were nuked and 80 to 100 other larger cities firebombed destroying the infrastructure, they could start from scratch like Japan. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 01:48:41 pm »
I liked the high speed train in Sweden, and it’s preferable to driving, but if were located in California, the train would be full of vagrants, loudmouths, or people you generally avoid.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 04:10:53 pm »
The only thing high speed about moonbeam's train boondoggle is it's ability to transfer California taxpayer dollars into the coffers of democrat donors.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 05:07:09 pm »

Keep in mind, Democrats aren't in charge of Japan's train system.  If they were, it would fall apart, too.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 05:31:31 pm »
The original plan was LA to SF, direct.

Instead, all the grifters and corrupocrats are now getting their slice of the pie with it now going through the Central Valley with dozens of additional stops. Nothing "high speed" about it except for the spending.

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.