Author Topic: Tony Cardenas becomes 10th congressional retiree this month  (Read 161 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Tony Cardenas becomes 10th congressional retiree this month
« on: November 20, 2023, 07:19:21 pm »
Tony Cardenas becomes 10th congressional retiree this month
by Julia Johnson, Politics Reporter
 November 20, 2023 12:16 PM

Rep. Tony Cardenas (D-CA) announced his decision not to seek reelection in 2024, joining a quickly expanding group of representatives and senators opting to quit after the recent lengthy speaker and spending battles.

“It will be the first time in 28 years that I’m not on the ballot,” Cardenas said in an interview with the Los Angeles Times.

TRUMP AND SMITH LAWYERS TO FIGHT OVER GAG ORDER IN MONDAY'S ORAL ARGUMENTS

“The truth of the matter is I thought I could do this just for a few years ... I’m just at the age where I have enough energy and experience to maybe do something [different] and have another chapter of a career where I don’t have to go to Washington, D.C., 32 weeks out of the year," he explained.

The California lawmaker is the 30th House member and 20th House Democrat to opt against a reelection bid in 2024, with 19 Democrats and 10 Republicans having announced their intent to leave the lower chamber.

Cardenas is also the 10th congressional member to make such an announcement in November. This number ties the record high of monthly retirements in January 2014, according to Ballotpedia, which has been keeping track of monthly retirements since 2011.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/tony-cardenas-list-new-congressional-retirees
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson