Author Topic: On this day in history, November 19, 1863, President Lincoln delivers the Gettysburg Address  (Read 593 times)

Offline libertybele

On this day in history, November 19, 1863, President Lincoln delivers the Gettysburg Address

President Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address, one of the most famous speeches in United States history, at the dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery on this day in history, Nov. 19, 1863.

The Battle of Gettysburg was fought between July 1, 1863, and July 3, 1863.

It was one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War, with an excess of 51,000 soldiers killed, injured or otherwise lost to action, noted National Geographic.

Some 3,155 Union troops were killed, while 3,903 Confederates died. ...............

...............Lincoln’s brief address would be remembered as one of the most important speeches in American history.

In his iconic speech, Lincoln invoked the principles of human equality contained in the Declaration of Independence.

He connected the sacrifices of the Civil War with the desire for "a new birth of freedom," as well as the all-important preservation of the Union created in 1776 and its ideal of self-government, according to History.com...................

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/this-day-history-november-19-1863-president-lincoln-delivers-gettysburg-address
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I'm having serious chills and flashbacks back to 7th grade having to memorize this.   :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

I'm having serious chills and flashbacks back to 7th grade having to memorize this.   :cool:

:laugh: You aren't the only one, I remember having to memorize the speech as well, and the Preamble to the Constitution.

That was back when students were taught American history and American government.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Thank goodness I didn't have to memorize this but we did have to memorize the Preamble that was stressful enough..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Selena Zito wrote a nice piece about this in today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
I never memorized it, but where we live now, they hold an annual competition for middle school age kids to recite it from memory.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Two minutes and 272 words later, delivered in his signature squeaky voice edged with a Kentucky twang, Lincoln stepped down from the podium, as the choir began to congregate, and believed unequivocally that he had failed to meet the moment.

https://twitter.com/ZitoSalena/status/1726211222561788046
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org