Author Topic: NY Times says school COVID closures may be ‘most damaging disruption’ to kids’ education in U.S. his  (Read 231 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

NY Times says school COVID closures may be ‘most damaging disruption’ to kids’ education in U.S. history
The Times lamented the learning losses stemming from the closures after pushing for the closures during the pandemic's height
Gabriel Hays By Gabriel Hays Fox News
Published November 18, 2023 2:43pm EST

The New York Times editorial board penned a new editorial on Saturday stating that the school closures enacted in response to the COVID-19 pandemic "may prove to be the most damaging disruption in the history of American education."

The editorial provided a reflection on the "significant" learning losses stemming from keeping around 50 million kids out of the classroom because of the virus, and urged elected officials and the education community to move quickly to heal some of the damage.

The paper came to these points after certain mainstream media outlets supported these same closures. Some media figures have continued arguing they were good decisions.

The New York Times editorial board composed a new piece lamenting the damage that COVID-19 school closures have done to children. (Photo by ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images)

The editorial opened with a dire assessment of what COVID-19 closures did to America’s schoolchildren. It stated, "The evidence is now in, and it is startling. The school closures that took 50 million children out of classrooms at the start of the pandemic may prove to be the most damaging disruption in the history of American education."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/ny-times-says-school-covid-closures-may-most-damaging-disruption-kids-education-u-s-history
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Hoodat

Would these be the very same school closures that the NY Times roundly endorsed and supported, ruthlessly shaming anyone and everyone who objected to them on the very grounds they now report?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-