Author Topic: Brookline’s rent control measure passes. Next stop: Beacon Hill.  (Read 525 times)

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Like a bad penny, bad ideas from the past keep coming back.

Government limits housing construction; supply is less than demand; rents increase; Government "fixes" it with more Government.

Brookline and Cambridge are in constant competition to be the most Marxist municipalities in Massachusetts.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2023/11/17/brookline-rent-control-home-rule-petition-passes/?p1=hp_featurestack

Brookline’s rent control measure passes. Next stop: Beacon Hill.

The article would cap rent increases at 7% annually in Brookline. But because rent control is banned in Massachusetts, the proposal must now get state approval.

By Katelyn Umholtz   
November 17, 2023 | 11:46 AM

An article that aims to bring rent control back to Brookline received the majority vote Thursday evening after more than an hour of debating the policy’s contentious past in the Boston suburb.

At Town Meeting, 112 members voted yes, 107 voted no, and there were 13 abstentions.

Support for Article 16 — which caps rent increases annually at a base rate of 3%, plus inflation, for a maximum increase of 7% — came from an understanding of many Town Meeting members that the rent is just too high in Brookline and it’s one of the most expensive Massachusetts communities to live in. ...
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Mod2

Re: Brookline’s rent control measure passes. Next stop: Beacon Hill.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 08:11:46 pm »
Moved to state politics category