Author Topic: Cape Cod residents say no to offshore wind transmission lines under beaches  (Read 175 times)

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Routing power cables under Craigsville Beach is a plan for failure.

It's like these wind projects are being developed by C. Montgomery Burns

Reminds me of the Post World War II failed urban renewal plans ... everyone but the residents were involved in the planning.

https://www.boston.com/news/the-boston-globe/2023/11/16/cape-cod-residents-say-no-to-offshore-wind-transmission-lines-under-beaches/?p1=hp_secondary

Cape Cod residents say no to offshore wind transmission lines under beaches

Three iconic beaches are slated to be landing spots for high-voltage cables carrying power from offshore wind. But not if these residents get their way.

By Sabrina Shankman, The Boston Globe
updated on November 17, 2023 | 9:21 AM

... Far from the regulatory offices where decisions are made and the executive boardrooms where plans are laid, advocates and clean-energy experts say the growing wave of opposition in Barnstable and other communities on the front lines of the offshore wind revolution represent a potential threat to the clean-energy and climate goals that rely on the rapid growth of an industry that’s new to the United States.

The offshore wind industry has long been considered the cornerstone of the region’s plans to address climate change by transitioning off fossil fuels. But growing public opposition, combined with economic challenges facing the industry, are dampening the prospects for what was not long ago considered a promising clean-energy solution.

In Barnstable, the main issue isn’t the turbines themselves. It’s that two major offshore wind projects being developed by the company, Avangrid, called Commonwealth Wind and Park City Wind, are planning to bring power ashore via local beaches. These high-powered cables would be buried roughly 50 feet below Barnstable’s shoreline — under Dowses Beach and Craigville Beach — before winding through cement encasements under residential neighborhoods to connect to the regional grid. ...

« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 06:05:31 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.