Author Topic: Federal Judge: Statute Barring Gun Possession After DUI Conviction Violates Second Amendment  (Read 425 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Federal Judge: Statute Barring Gun Possession After DUI Conviction Violates Second Amendment

AWR Hawkins 16 Nov 2023

Judge John Milton Younge handed down a decision Tuesday in which he found that the statute prohibiting gun possession after a DUI violates the Second Amendment.

The statute is 922(g)(1), and Younge reached this decision after weighing it in light of Bruen (2022).

The plaintiff in the case, Edward A. Williams, filed suit because he was being denied the ability to possess a gun because of a 2005 DUI conviction.

Williams was arrested for driving under the influence in April 2000 and again for his second DUI in 2001. Charges related to the second arrest were dismissed.

He was arrested again in 2004 with a blood alcohol content of 0.223, which is well over the legal limit of 0.08.

In 2005, Williams “was convicted of DUI at the highest rate of intoxication, which, based on his prior offense in 2000, is a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to five years in prison.” Judge Younge noted that the “conviction disqualified [Williams] from possessing a firearm under…922(g)(1).”

Younge pointed to Bruen and noted, “The Supreme Court has held that an individual’s conduct may fall outside of Second Amendment protection ‘
  • nly if a firearm regulation is consistent with this Nation’s historical tradition.’”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2023/11/16/federal-judge-statute-barring-gun-possession-after-dui-conviction-violates-second-amendment/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

How many peeps accidently shoot themselves while drunk?  What's the worst that could happen?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'm with the judge. Having a gun may or may not be a problem with someone who has a history of DUI, and though that reveals bad judgement when it comes to driving and being under the influence simultaneously, that does not necessarily translate to someone being a danger with a firearm.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This is an excellent decision. It would be like someone jaywalking, and being told they can never own a bicycle again. No logical connection.
The Republic is lost.