Author Topic: Gov. JB Pritzker announces $160 million in new funding for Chicago's migrant crisis  (Read 199 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Gov. JB Pritzker announces $160 million in new funding for Chicago's migrant crisis
chicago
BY TODD FEURER, SABRINA FRANZA

UPDATED ON: NOVEMBER 16, 2023 / 11:28 AM CST / CBS CHICAGO

CHICAGO (CBS) -- The state of Illinois is providing $160 million in new funding to help Chicago care for more than 21,000 asylum seekers staying in shelters, at police stations, or at O'Hare International Airport.

Gov. JB Pritzker announced the funding for Chicago's migrant crisis one day after the Chicago City Council passed Mayor Brandon Johnson's budget plan for 2024, which includes $150 million for migrants, enough to cover only a few months of the estimated costs for next year.

As of Wednesday, more than 21,200 asylum seekers have arrived in Chicago since August 2022. City officials said 12,281 migrants were still staying in one of the 25 city-run shelters in Chicago, with 1,831 more staying at the city's police stations and another 572 staying at O'Hare International Airport while waiting for space in a shelter.

The governor said $160 million in surplus funding from the Illinois Department of Human Services will be spent to help Chicago provide shelter and services to migrants, broken down into three programs.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/gov-jb-pritzker-state-funding-migrant-crisis/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Next will come the State of Illinois ask for Federal reimbursement.  Just say "No."

The Blue sanctuary states and cities will come to Biden and Dems gladhanding for more money.  They will frame it as a "crisis" with "imminent" human suffering.  They will try to bundle this money into an appropriations bill for the military or some other Republican-friendly Government function.  If not, Biden will "find" some emergency money or issue an Executive Order that will activate a provision of a law that frees up money for the President to discretionarily allocate.  He'll follow up with a supplemental funding request to backfill the money he gave away.

It's best to get appropriations for the remainder of 2024 out the door.  Otherwise, the 2024 appropriation process never ends.  Every few weeks there will be another looming crisis that gives Dems the chance to slip in additional spending in continuing resolution appropriations.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 06:58:37 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.