Poll

Are you spending less money this year on holidays?

Yes,
13 (34.2%)
No
7 (18.4%)
The same as always
5 (13.2%)
other
5 (13.2%)
I made brownies for Santa (stoner answer)
5 (13.2%)
Don't know. Haven't thought about it.
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: December 30, 2023, 02:12:46 pm

Author Topic: Are you going to spend less this year on Christmas and/or Thanksgiving?  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
It seems like a lot of people are reducing the price of a Thanksgiving dinner, or telling people not to exchange Holiday presents with them- whether it's for families or Secret Santa at work. This is the first year where my neighbors and I won't be exchanging gifts.

So, has the Grinch stolen the holiday spirit, or are people just worried and prices are high people are cutting back?

Up to three options per person. Guests allowed and welcome to vote.

:turkeyhunt: 8888mistltoe
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Are you going to spend less this year on Christmas and/or Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 02:18:08 pm »
Bidenomics is forcing me to spend more, for much less. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 03:15:40 pm »
Traveling to see the kids and grandson for his first Christmas, so by default, will be spending a lot more.

For Thanksgiving, about the same...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 03:46:13 pm »
No matter how much I spend, I'll be getting less.  Thank you, Bidenomics.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 04:10:26 pm »
Trying to spend less which isn't easy considering the ridiculous prices of everything. It's not a gift, but I went out and bought foil tins to make zucchini bread. I got home, looked at the receipt and they charged me $8.99!  I can get them at the dollar store so they are going back.  It's not a huge amount, but the point is the item is absolutely overpriced.

P.S. I did set aside some $$ for Christmas brownies. happy77
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 04:28:05 pm »
Ours doesn't cost all that much... Most of it is coming from one garden or the other - I shot one of the turkeys, and my boy raised up the other... though I did hear the pumpkin is from a can this year. But other than that, the cranberries, the walnuts, mushroom soup, condensed milk, marshmallows, and various spices... oh, and them crunchy onion things... That's about all that's coming from off-farm, so the cost is kinda incidental and hard to figure against last year.  :shrug:

Offline Loree G

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 01:09:14 am »
About 30 years ago, my late hubby and I decided that for Thanksgiving and Christmas, we would not even bother to decorate.  Instead, we would volunteer at either a shelter or a veterans' organization and help with the cooking and serving of meals.  We would either go out to eat or cook our holiday meal on a different day.  After he died, I continued to help out at veterans' organizations until the last two years since I went back to work and was usually working those days. 

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 10:45:29 pm »
Spend next to nothing this year.  Wife and daughter are out of the country, so I will be alone for Thanksgiving.  Won't spend a dime more than I have to under that circumstance.

With Christmas, I did not receive a gift last year from my bride, which I thought odd, so I am not spending much this year.  Tired of being slighted.  I usually do not want much, tell them to not spend much, and they don't, but nothing, wasn't looking for that!

Ba humbug!

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 11:39:55 pm »
Spend next to nothing this year.  Wife and daughter are out of the country, so I will be alone for Thanksgiving.  Won't spend a dime more than I have to under that circumstance.

With Christmas, I did not receive a gift last year from my bride, which I thought odd, so I am not spending much this year.  Tired of being slighted.  I usually do not want much, tell them to not spend much, and they don't, but nothing, wasn't looking for that!

Ba humbug!

The best spirit is to give...not receive. Not trying to be nasty, but that is what it is supposed to be about.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2023, 09:27:19 pm »
Thanksgiving is my "splurge" day. I make a nice gourmet cheese and cracker tray for appetizers, and the rest of the (adult) family members each handle a dish, with the host cooking the bird.

All in all, the cost of the crackers is down a little, the cheese is slightly up (though I have stretched it by way of using Aldi cheese for a couple of things)... all in all, it's about the same as last year.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2023, 10:54:24 pm »
I'm doing the entire meal this year - not asking anyone to bring anything. Fortunately, Kroger had the turkey for .49 per pound and sweet potatoes for .39 per pound, so we'll save some money there. Otherwise, it really won't cost much - green beans from my garden (previously blanched and frozen) and applesauce made from my sister's apples (also going into an applesauce-pumpkin cake for the non-gluten sensitive). A couple of bottles of my favorite wine from our extensive cellar (a rack beneath the basement stairs), a couple of bottles of San Pellegrino for the hip younger set, and we're good to go, even with the gluten-free measures required because of our niece's celiac disease.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2023, 11:06:15 pm »
Spending more, but getting less.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2023, 11:10:18 pm »

Ba humbug!

...hmmm  I can certainly understand the Ba humbug, but hopefully things will turn out to be Merry and Bright.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2023, 01:03:35 am »
Thanksgiving is my "splurge" day. I make a nice gourmet cheese and cracker tray for appetizers, and the rest of the (adult) family members each handle a dish, with the host cooking the bird.

All in all, the cost of the crackers is down a little, the cheese is slightly up (though I have stretched it by way of using Aldi cheese for a couple of things)... all in all, it's about the same as last year.

Has anyone else noticed the rapidly shrinking aisle space for beef?  And the escalating prices?  Our cheapest grocery store has ribeyes at $16.99/lb.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2023, 01:07:51 am »
Traveling to see the kids and grandson for his first Christmas, so by default, will be spending a lot more.

For Thanksgiving, about the same...

Feel for you.  Our similar grandkids trip  last summer to CA ended costing about $15K (and by truck).  I don't see how many Californians can afford groceries.  Overall, it was easily about 50% more than what we pay in Texas.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2023, 01:30:17 am »
Has anyone else noticed the rapidly shrinking aisle space for beef?  And the escalating prices?  Our cheapest grocery store has ribeyes at $16.99/lb.

Yes. I was surprised last time I was into Farmer Joe's who had quite an extensive and elaborate display of meats has filled some of their meat cases with prepared meals. The cost of beef is indeed astronomical - even the sales prices. Pork and chicken are still fairly reasonable. I haven't filled up the freezers in quite awhile and I know after the holidays it'll probably be a major sticker shock to fill them up, or they won't get entirely filled. 

Offline LMAO

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2023, 01:52:50 am »
I picked the stoner option
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2023, 03:52:11 pm »

We have been buying the "lesser cut" of beef when we can find them.  But mostly we have been buying pork as it seems to have leveled off as far as price goes. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2023, 08:15:30 pm »
Feel for you.  Our similar grandkids trip  last summer to CA ended costing about $15K (and by truck).  I don't see how many Californians can afford groceries.  Overall, it was easily about 50% more than what we pay in Texas.
@catfish1957 Prices here in CA are getting crazy stupid. So much so that when we drove to CO in October to welcome the grandson, we actually brought some stuff home that was much cheaper than here.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2023, 10:05:42 pm »
Just got home.

We definitely spent less.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2023, 10:11:39 pm »

The best spirit is to give...not receive. Not trying to be nasty, but that is what it is supposed to be about.
At this point, there isn't much I need, so spend the gift money on the youngsters, (great grandchildren).  I don't mind giving, but with 12 of them, it adds up fast.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2023, 10:58:25 pm »
At this point, there isn't much I need, so spend the gift money on the youngsters, (great grandchildren).  I don't mind giving, but with 12 of them, it adds up fast.

my local police dept did a drive for pets at the local animal shelter.

I brought over quite a few brand new toys and food.

I give about 100 a year to the local food bank

And I am going to buy some toys this weekend for toys for tots.

I want to give back, it's not a lot but I do.