Author Topic: WH gives seal of approval to House Republicans' short-term spending plan, Schumer says  (Read 205 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House gives seal of approval to House Republicans' short-term spending plan, Schumer says
'If this can avoid a shutdown, it will be a good thing,' Schumer says of Johnson's CR proposal
By Elizabeth Elkind Fox News
Published November 14, 2023 3:23pm EST

The White House appears to be signaling that President Biden would accept a short-term spending plan to avert a government shutdown brought by Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., a top Biden ally, told reporters that he discussed Johnson’s proposal with administration officials hours before the House of Representatives is set to hold a vote on it.

"I think that we all want to avoid a shutdown. I've talked to the White House, and both of us agree, the White House and myself, that if this can avoid a shutdown, it will be a good thing," Schumer said at a Tuesday press conference.

The messaging from Washington, D.C.’s top Democrats will likely embolden left-wing lawmakers to cross the aisle and support the proposal — which it will need, given the growing defections from the right wing of Johnson’s party.

Democrats are still wary of splitting up government funding deadlines, a move Schumer called "goofy" on Tuesday.

But he claimed overall victories for his party, because "the proposal before the House does two things Democrats pushed for."

"One, not making the hard-right cuts that the MAGA wing demands. And second, making sure that if they're going to do this sort of goofy ladder, that defense is in the second part of the ladder, not the first."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white-house-gives-seal-approval-house-republicans-short-term-spending-plan-schumer-says
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34