Author Topic: Oregon voters want to walk-back legalization of hard drugs  (Read 1173 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Oregon voters want to walk-back legalization of hard drugs
« on: November 14, 2023, 06:49:43 pm »
AMERICAN NEWS Nov 14, 2023
Oregon voters want to walk-back legalization of hard drugs
Over 60 percent said drug addition, homelessness, and crime had become worse in the time since the policy of decriminalization was adopted.

Jarryd Jaeger
Vancouver, BC
Nov 14, 2023

In 2020, voters in Oregon passed Measure 110, which decriminalized the possession of certain drugs in small quantities for personal use and shuffled revenue from cannabis taxes to resources aimed at helping addicts. Since it went into effect the following year, crime and substance use has not gone down as intended, and as a result, residents are calling for a reintroduction of criminal penalties for users.

A poll conducted by DHM Research earlier this year revealed that more than 60 percent of Oregonians want to see the decriminalization aspect of Measure 110 repealed, though support for the use of cannabis taxes to fund treatment programs has maintained popularity.

According to the poll, 51 percent of those surveyed said they believed Measure 110 has been bad for Oregon. Of those, 33 percent deemed it "very bad." Over 60 percent said drug addiction, homelessness, and crime had become worse in the time since it was adopted.

https://thepostmillennial.com/oregon-voters-want-to-walk-back-legalization-of-hard-drugs?utm_campaign=64487
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Oregon voters want to walk-back legalization of hard drugs
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 09:41:31 pm »
Good luck on that...

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 08:53:32 pm »
Apparently, the violence and crime rate has gone up in a number of states that have legalized hard drugs. Pot as well.
And recent health studies have found pot smokers with higher rates of respiratory and lung diseases than non-pot smokers. Who'd a thought that?  :whistle:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 09:02:37 pm »
 ////00000////

Who knew illicit narcotics were bad?  If only Nancy Reagan and Mr. T had warned us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddjgwBFrM4Y
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 04:41:48 am »
My elders had a saying: "Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread."

They rushed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 04:50:14 am »
Once again, Conservatives were right.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online LMAO

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 01:41:17 pm »
What did the people of Oregon think was going to happen?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 05:02:44 pm »
What did the people of Oregon think was going to happen?

Woke Leftists are like little petulant children who shake their fist and scream 'I'm gonna do what I want to do!!!' as they stamp off and go right over the edge of the cliff, then wonder why the ground is coming up closer and closer so quickly.

Meanwhile the handlers and string pullers who put them up to it just smirk and grin.
The Republic is lost.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 05:26:53 pm »
It's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 04:51:28 pm »
Matt Walsh
@MattWalshBlog
Oregon decriminalized drugs and a total breakdown of society followed. Overdose deaths sky rocketed. Drug use spread like wildfire. Junkies using meth and fentanyl openly all over their major cities. Now a majority of voters have changed their minds and want to re-criminalize. Interestingly, the advocates of drug decriminalization nationwide seem not to have noticed that they got what they wanted and it was proven to be a disaster by every possible metric. Never has one side of an issue been so thoroughly and quickly and drastically proven wrong.
11:27 AM · Nov 16, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 04:53:43 pm »
See also Vancouver, Canada:
"This is Vancouver, Canada a city that made every drug legal"
The zombie apocalypse is different than we imagined.

https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1725523105659994471
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 06:26:44 pm »
I used to (on TOS) be labeled as a WODer.... Now we are seeing why clearer. Man people hated us, but with streets littered with zombies, I wonder how many still deny that this war was worth fighting. The decay of society is evident and heartbreaking.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2023, 09:30:01 pm »
I used to (on TOS) be labeled as a WODer.... Now we are seeing why clearer. Man people hated us, but with streets littered with zombies, I wonder how many still deny that this war was worth fighting. The decay of society is evident and heartbreaking.
I havee continued to work in an environment where abstinence is not only mandatory, but advisable for safety reasons.
As a matter of Government, we have gone from "Just say no." to cocaine in the White House.

The last really notable government on drugs were the Nazis.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2023, 11:45:54 pm »
Concerning subjects like drug legalization, the questions that have to be asked is not only how will it affect the right of individuals to do what they want with their own bodies, but what is the effect on the population at large?
It's not only the individual, it's also the right of other individuals not to be harmed by what some individuals do.
Smoke dope? Sure, go ahead. I don't care as long as others aren't badly affected by your drug use.
Now we are seeing what greater freedom to use "recreational" drugs can cause. And it's not good.
Maybe the "bad" old days of severely restricted drug use was what was best for society.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 11:47:33 pm by goatprairie »

Online the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2023, 12:49:46 am »
See, I told you so….

Libertarians (with whom I greatly agree) have said drugs need to be all legal for years.  Pointing to Amsterdam as some kind of proof that drugs don’t ruin society at large.

Not.

Why do they not clamor for all society to allow “open container” drinking in public?  The same argument can be used.  What difference does it make if people are drunk in public venues or not?

It just doesn’t work, all this “freedom”.

Note how liberals only care about freedom to be debauched, to screw and expose sexual parts and use any kind of drug wanted in public.  But God forbid you use an incandescent light bulb.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline berdie

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2023, 12:59:08 am »
See, I told you so….

Libertarians (with whom I greatly agree) have said drugs need to be all legal for years.  Pointing to Amsterdam as some kind of proof that drugs don’t ruin society at large.

Not.

Why do they not clamor for all society to allow “open container” drinking in public?  The same argument can be used.  What difference does it make if people are drunk in public venues or not?

It just doesn’t work, all this “freedom”.

Note how liberals only care about freedom to be debauched, to screw and expose sexual parts and use any kind of drug wanted in public. But God forbid you use an incandescent light bulb.

And that is what the whole thing insane!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 01:00:10 am by berdie »

Online LMAO

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2023, 01:08:04 am »

I don’t want to see the jails filled with people who use drugs.

But, you can’t deny the problems that drug decriminalization has brought onto society
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2023, 01:08:33 am »
See also Vancouver, Canada:
"This is Vancouver, Canada a city that made every drug legal"
The zombie apocalypse is different than we imagined.

https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1725523105659994471

I was in Vancouver last summer. Yeah.

Barry Goldwater