Author Topic: Ron DeSantis floats Iowa caucus sites in Florida, so snowbirds wouldn’t have to go home to vote  (Read 639 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Ron DeSantis floats Iowa caucus sites in Florida, so snowbirds wouldn’t have to go home to vote
Florida Politics, Nov 11, 2023

Do one in Naples, one in Marco Island. You know, whatever you need to do.'

Back in Iowa Saturday morning, Ron DeSantis said he wanted snowbirds visiting the Sunshine State to be able to vote without going back home.

The 2024 presidential candidate told supporters in Muscadine that he wanted caucus sites in Southwest Florida.

“But I do know with so many people that go down in Florida, I have to figure out — I may petition the Iowa Republican Party to have some caucus sites in Southwest Florida,” the Governor quipped.

“So people could just go, I mean, do one in Naples, one in Marco Island. You know, whatever you need to do.”

The Governor’s trial balloon was included as part of a very familiar riff about how happy Iowans are with the conservative governance of his key endorser, Kim Reynolds and how his children are looking forward to “seeing snow” in an early voting state.

'I know it gets cold here because all I have to do is as we get into December and January, if I want to talk to people from Iowa or Illinois or Wisconsin, I just go to Marco Island and Naples and Bonita Springs and Fort Myers and I got half the Midwest down there,” the Governor quipped.

The Iowa caucuses, of course, are community participation models, different from primaries given that voters show up to sites around the state and attempt to convince others to support their candidate. While a primary might lend itself to absentee balloting, it’s unclear how gaming the system for voters who prefer Florida’s temperate winters to being in states where they are registered to vote would actually work.

It’s also unclear how those elections would be made secure in a way that accords with Iowa law. DeSantis has been an exponent of so-called election security for years, but if this proposal came to pass, it seems ripe for potential exploitation and subversion.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/644027-desantis-snowbird-caucus/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Sure, *this* is the magic bullet, Ronny.   :laugh:

The 2024 presidential candidate told supporters in Muscadine that he wanted caucus sites in Southwest Florida.

Offline libertybele

Ron DeSantis floats Iowa caucus sites in Florida, so snowbirds wouldn’t have to go home to vote
Florida Politics, Nov 11, 2023

Do one in Naples, one in Marco Island. You know, whatever you need to do.'

Back in Iowa Saturday morning, Ron DeSantis said he wanted snowbirds visiting the Sunshine State to be able to vote without going back home.

“But I do know with so many people that go down in Florida, I have to figure out — I may petition the Iowa Republican Party to have some caucus sites in Southwest Florida,” the Governor quipped.

“So people could just go, I mean, do one in Naples, one in Marco Island. You know, whatever you need to do.”

The Governor’s trial balloon was included as part of a very familiar riff about how happy Iowans are with the conservative governance of his key endorser, Kim Reynolds and how his children are looking forward to “seeing snow” in an early voting state.

'I know it gets cold here because all I have to do is as we get into December and January, if I want to talk to people from Iowa or Illinois or Wisconsin, I just go to Marco Island and Naples and Bonita Springs and Fort Myers and I got half the Midwest down there,” the Governor quipped.

The Iowa caucuses, of course, are community participation models, different from primaries given that voters show up to sites around the state and attempt to convince others to support their candidate. While a primary might lend itself to absentee balloting, it’s unclear how gaming the system for voters who prefer Florida’s temperate winters to being in states where they are registered to vote would actually work.

It’s also unclear how those elections would be made secure in a way that accords with Iowa law. DeSantis has been an exponent of so-called election security for years, but if this proposal came to pass, it seems ripe for potential exploitation and subversion.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/644027-desantis-snowbird-caucus/

Naples and Marco Island?  Likely vote GOP anyways.  He needs to concentrate on areas that he won in the last gubernatorial election as far as Florida goes. I believe he'll win FL over Trump.

IA is critical for him - without that win, I just don't see a path forward.  Just my opinion.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline LMAO

We already have a messed up voting system with mail in ballots and vote when and where ever you want

Don't make it worse, Ron
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

We already have a messed up voting system with mail in ballots and vote when and where ever you want

Don't make it worse, Ron

No worries, Ronna is on top of things.  *****rollingeyes*****
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.