Author Topic: Texas Senate passes measure making illegal border crossings a state crime  (Read 363 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Texas Senate passes measure making illegal border crossings a state crime
© Provided by The Hill

The Texas Senate fast-tracked two measures Thursday to broaden the state’s jurisdiction over immigration enforcement.

The bills — one which would make crossing the border from Mexico into Texas a crime and the other would appropriate more than $1.5 billion for border enforcement — crossed the chamber’s finish line just two days after the beginning of a special legislative session.

The quick legislative action came as the Senate suspended its standard rules of procedure, according to a report by Texas Public Radio.

The state criminalization of unauthorized border crossings is controversial because the federal government is generally understood to have sole constitutional authority over immigration enforcement.
A group of former immigration judges on Friday panned the proposed legislation, saying it conflicts with constitutional law and U.S. treaty obligations.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/texas-senate-passes-measure-making-illegal-border-crossings-a-state-crime/ar-AA1jIQcT?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=77f7fed60dde4e7f90d54364b41b78ab&ei=20
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Texas Senate passes measure making illegal border crossings a state crime
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 12:41:43 pm »
They had better start building more jails and prisons.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Texas Senate passes measure making illegal border crossings a state crime
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 12:52:02 pm »
Yet Another Busted Quorum in the Texas House

Texas Scorecard  Brandon Waltens November 10, 2023

This is the third time in the last two weeks that the House has been frozen due to a lack of quorum.

Proceedings in the Texas House of Representatives have once again hit a stall, as members of the House failed to show up resulting in a lack of quorum.

The chamber’s rules require 100 members to be present in order to conduct business.

On Friday morning, only 99 members were present.

Those absent included a mix of Republicans and Democrats.

“34 Democrats out of 64, didn’t bother to show up,” State Rep. Steve Toth (R–The Woodlands) said in a video posted to social media. “And of course some Republicans as well.”

“Sadly there are too many Republicans on this list that did not bother to show up for their constitutionally mandated job performance today, where we still got border security bills to pass and education for the important work of the people of Texas,” State Rep. Brian Harrison (R–Midlothian) added.

This is the third time in the last two weeks that the House has been frozen due to a lack of quorum.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/yet-another-busted-quorum-in-the-texas-house/