Author Topic: Raucous crowds flood Chicago City Council, shut down meeting over sanctuary city issue  (Read 371 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Raucous crowds flood Chicago City Council, shut down meeting over sanctuary city issue
Dane Placko
Tue, November 7, 2023 at 1:50 PM EST·2 min read

CHICAGO - There was chaos at City Hall on Tuesday as protesters took over a meeting about Chicago's status as a sanctuary city. They're angry about efforts to stop a referendum that would allow Chicagoans to decide whether to welcome migrants.

The raucous meeting of the City Council Rules Committee spun out of control as protesters shouted down aldermen during debate about Chicago's status as a sanctuary city.

"Do you as a resident of the City of Chicago believe that we should remain a sanctuary city?" asked 41st Ward Alderman Anthony Napolitano. The crowd responded with boos and catcalls.

The mostly African-American crowd jammed the City Council gallery, with hundreds more downstairs on the first floor held back by officers with bicycles. They're angry the city is spending tens of millions of dollars to shelter migrants, money they say should be going to help Chicagoans in poor neighborhoods.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/raucous-crowds-flood-chicago-city-185021136.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Don't worry Plantation People, the Democrats will just print more money for you.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis