Author Topic: Pakistan says nearly 25,000 Afghans waiting for U.S. visas won’t be deported as part of clampdown  (Read 254 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
By — Munir Ahmed, Associated Press

Pakistan says nearly 25,000 Afghans waiting for U.S. visas won’t be deported as part of clampdown
Politics Nov 8, 2023 7:45 PM EST

ISLAMABAD (AP) — Pakistan’s prime minister on Wednesday sought to reassure thousands of Afghans waiting in Pakistan for resettlement in the United States that they won’t be deported as part of his government’s widely criticized crackdown on undocumented migrants in the country.

Islamabad has launched a crackdown on illegal migration, saying any unregistered foreign national and migrant lacking proper documentation would face arrest and deportation. The drive mostly affects Afghans because they are the majority of foreigners living in Pakistan, although the government says it’s targeting all who are in the country illegally.

At least 25,000 Afghans — who had worked for the American military or government, international organizations and aid agencies, as well as media and human rights groups — escaped the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan in 2021 to Pakistan and are waiting to be processed to relocate to the U.S.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/pakistan-says-nearly-25000-afghans-waiting-for-u-s-visas-wont-be-deported-as-part-of-clampdown
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson