Author Topic: School replaces Veteran’s Day assembly with ‘Peace Assembly’  (Read 663 times)

Online mountaineer

School replaces Veteran’s Day assembly with ‘Peace Assembly’
Nov. 8, 2023
Jason Rantz

A Redmond (Wash.) elementary school canceled the annual assembly to commemorate and honor Veteran’s Day. They are replacing it with a “Peace Assembly,” leaving some parents “disgusted” by the decision.

Benjamin Rush Elementary in the Lake Washington School District traditionally holds a Veteran’s Day assembly. It features the school’s choir performing songs like, “It’s a Grand Old Flag,” “This Land is Your Land” and the national anthem. But this year’s celebration will look different.

In place of the Veteran’s Day assembly, the school’s administration opted to recognize the International Day of Tolerance, sponsored by UNESCO, on November 15 (International Day of Tolerance is November 16). And some parents feel like they were kept in the dark about the change.

Families did not have much time to learn about the change, which was jarring to those who expected a Veteran’s Day assembly. The “Peace Assembly” appeared in the school’s newsletter on October 29 and November 5, but it did not explain what it was.

“I was extremely disappointed and yet not surprised,” one Benjamin Rush Elementary father told The Jason Rantz Show on KTTH. He asked for anonymity to prevent reprisals for speaking up. ...
https://mynorthwest.com/3938433/rantz-school-replaces-veterans-day-assembly-with-peace-assembly/

So this is where we are.  **nononono*
I'm happy to report my local school district is recognizing Veterans' Day, and holding "breakfast with a veteran" today.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: School replaces Veteran’s Day assembly with ‘Peace Assembly’
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 10:55:54 pm »
Forget it, Jake...
It's Washington state.
No longer part of traditional America.

Online berdie

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 11:02:34 pm »
Alrighty then. Washington doesn't need police or soldiers, active or retired.

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 12:54:37 pm »

Washington School Reportedly Scraps Veterans Day Assembly, Replaces It with UN-Sponsored 'Day of Tolerance'
Story by Laura Wellington  •
14h

The quickest way to teach what “peace” isn’t and “intolerance” is among conservatives is to minimize Veterans Day at our kids’ schools. That is what one elementary school in Washington state is finding out.

Benjamin Rush Elementary in Redmond decided to forgo the annual Veterans Day assembly, according to Jason Rantz of KTTH-AM in Seattle.

Instead, school officials thought they’d replace it with something more current and, by way of their actions, important.

They decided to hold a "peace assembly" on Nov. 15 to honor the "International Day of Tolerance" sponsored by the U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.

The school noted the new event in the school newsletter on Oct. 29 and Nov. 5.
No one knew what it was, however, or that it would be replacing the expected Veterans Day assembly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/washington-school-reportedly-scraps-veterans-day-assembly-replaces-it-with-un-sponsored-day-of-tolerance/ar-AA1jJCcr?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=77f7fed60dde4e7f90d54364b41b78ab&ei=39
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 01:02:53 pm »
Most Americans will miss the irony in the name of the school, but I doubt the organizers did.  Benjamin Rush was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.  I have gotten a history of Rush for anyone who cares to read it.  In it he says it was a somber occasion as all who signed it knew they were signing their own death warrants, just as the intent of the school is obviously a death warrant of America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Rush
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson