Author Topic: early 80 bird species names with racist roots are about to be changed  (Read 585 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
early 80 bird species names with racist roots are about to be changed
By Leah Asmelash, CNN
 2 minute read
Updated 1:31 PM EDT, Thu November 2, 2023

CFDK79 Say's phoebe (Sayornis saya), Okanagan Valley, southern British Columbia, Canada
Say's phoebe (Sayornis saya) is named for Thomas Say, an American naturalist. The American Ornithological Society has announced that beginning next year, birds named after people will be renamed in an effort to be less exclusionary.

—
After years-long discussion, birds will no longer be named after people — a decision meant to dissociate the animals from problematic eponyms.

The American Ornithological Society announced Wednesday that all common English-language names of bird species named after people will be changed, along with other monikers that have been deemed offensive. In total, approximately 70-80 birds — primarily in the US and Canada — will be renamed.

“There is power in a name, and some English bird names have associations with the past that continue to be exclusionary and harmful today,” said Colleen Handel, president of the AOS, in a statement.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/02/us/bird-species-names-changing-scn-cec/index.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: early 80 bird species names with racist roots are about to be changed
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 12:48:53 pm »
It's about time scientists "woke" up! :3:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson