Author Topic: US 'Isn't Equipped to Handle' Immigration at Border, Says Former Agent  (Read 599 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 US 'Isn't Equipped to Handle' Immigration at Border, Says Former Agent
Story by Meredith Wolf Schizer  •
1d

Some people know Vince Vargas as Gilly Lopez, a war veteran in FX's series Mayans M.C. In fact, Vargas is a real-life veteran. He served in the U.S. Army 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment and on the U.S. Border Patrol and was able to "leverage" his "past experiences in the military and border control" to flesh out his character. His new book, Borderline: Defending the Homefront (St. Martin's) reveals inside details about the challenges he faced as a Border Patrol Agent, including the affecting story of trying—and failing—to rescue an immigrant who drowned crossing the Rio Grande. As policy surrounding immigration and the U.S.-Mexico border continues to be a major source of contention, and in light of the infiltration of Israel's southern border with Gaza in October, Vargas talks with Newsweek about his takeaways as a border agent and what he thinks is the best way to handle border security in the U.S. In this Q&A, Vargas talks about his grandmother, who came to this country as in illegal immigrant, government policy, lessons we can learn from Israel and more.

Q_You were a U.S. border patrol agent. How did your experiences affect your views of border patrol policy and its priorities?

A _ Border Patrol agents have a diverse range of responsibilities beyond enforcement, focusing on the safety and well-being of individuals encountered at the border. My firsthand experience only strengthened my belief in the border patrol's vital role. They handle complex tasks, including immigration enforcement, drug interdiction and humanitarian concerns, all while navigating diverse landscapes. Their dedication and adaptability are impressive, making them a crucial agency for national security and well-being.

Found in Eagle Pass, Texas. An illegal immigrant who was separated from her group in the summer left these sticks calling out for "help" before dying of dehydration. Courtesy of Vince Vargas
Found in Eagle Pass, Texas. An illegal immigrant who was separated from her group in the summer left these sticks calling out for "help" before dying of dehydration. Courtesy of Vince Vargas

Your grandmother was an illegal immigrant. Is that complicated for you?

Individuals who arrive here through unconventional means have the opportunity to legally adjust their status, a path chosen by millions of people, much like my grandparents. It's crucial to acknowledge that while our family's legacy shapes who we are, it doesn't exclusively define us.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-isn-t-equipped-to-handle-immigration-at-border-says-former-agent/ar-AA1jAofn?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=b32d489f7aa945648e4050f30ceaca37&ei=42
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: US 'Isn't Equipped to Handle' Immigration at Border, Says Former Agent
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 10:47:32 pm »
Nonsense.

We're "equipped" to handle an invasion.

But those in charge of "the equipment" ... won't use it.

Offline berdie

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 10:58:49 pm »
Well, if the Feds aren't equipped to handle it let the states do it...unfettered.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 11:22:44 pm »
Well, if the Feds aren't equipped to handle it let the states do it...unfettered.
I agree, even if protecting the States from invasion was one of the seminal duties of the Federal Government (which has been doing little of what it was intended to do and a whole lot it wasn't.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 11:24:25 pm »
Nonsense.

We're "equipped" to handle an invasion.

But those in charge of "the equipment" ... won't use it.

:thumbsup:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley