Author Topic: 'Influencers in uniform' are boosting recruiting, Pentagon says  (Read 257 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
'Influencers in uniform' are boosting recruiting, Pentagon says
« on: November 08, 2023, 03:17:38 pm »
'Influencers in uniform' are boosting recruiting, Pentagon says
Troops' social-media posts are "wildly popular because I think youth are looking for authenticity,” says deputy defense secretary.
EDWARD GRAHAM | NOVEMBER 8, 2023 05:00 AM ET
PENTAGON PERSONNEL ARMY NAVY AIR FORCE

The Pentagon’s efforts to recruit more young Americans into the armed forces are receiving a boost from service members with large online followings, the deputy secretary of defense said during an event hosted by the Center for a New American Security on Tuesday.

Kathleen Hicks said when it comes to the department’s Gen Z-focused military recruitment initiatives on social media, “where we've seen the most success is with—I feel so out of my lane here—with influencers.”

Hicks said digital content from “genuine service members on their own,” such as videos on YouTube, are resonating with younger viewers, particularly posts that are less overt in their recruitment tactics.

Service members "describing a day in their life talking about whatever—going out to get fast food but they're in uniform, whatever it is—those are wildly popular because I think youth are looking for authenticity,” Hicks said.

https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2023/11/service-member-influencers-are-helping-dod-recruit-pentagon-official-says/391856/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: 'Influencers in uniform' are boosting recruiting, Pentagon says
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 03:20:18 pm »
Woman speaks with forked tongue, I think.  In an article I just posted, she says the military is becoming more distant from Americans, not becoming wildly popular.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson