Author Topic: FCC to SpaceX: Can You Shut Off Cellular Starlink Service if Interference Occurs?  (Read 800 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
PCMag by Michael Kan November 7, 2023

The FCC is asking SpaceX for a more detailed analysis about whether the 'Starlink direct to cell' service could interfere with other satellite and ground-based services.

SpaceX is aiming to launch a Starlink cellular service next year, with the goal of supplying satellite-based messaging and internet to smartphones. But the company still needs to convince the FCC that the technology won’t interfere with other satellite and ground-based services.

On Tuesday, the FCC sent a list of additional questions to SpaceX as the US regulator considers whether to approve or reject the company’s application to operate the Starlink cellular service over the 1910 to 1995MHz radio bands.

The company initially applied last year to begin using thousands of Starlink satellites to beam the radio signals to smartphones on the ground, including those from T-Mobile. Now, the FCC is requesting that SpaceX supply an “interference analysis."

“This analysis should take into account the worst case scenario of all satellites transmitting at the same time, including different power levels required for rain fade and cloud cover as well as clear sky conditions over a particular area of coverage,” the FCC wrote.

More: https://www.pcmag.com/news/fcc-to-spacex-can-you-shut-off-cellular-starlink-service-if-interference

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Is it just me, or has the FedGov been pestering Elon more since he bought Twitter and opened up the platform?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Is it just me, or has the FedGov been pestering Elon more since he bought Twitter and opened up the platform?
That and it sounds like with this they are afraid they will lose the ability to control information and shut down communication.