Author Topic: House advances Tlaib censure resolution, teeing up final vote  (Read 574 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House advances Tlaib censure resolution, teeing up final vote
« on: November 07, 2023, 08:33:23 pm »
 House advances Tlaib censure resolution, teeing up final vote
by Mychael Schnell - 11/07/23 2:43 PM ET

The House advanced a resolution to censure Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) on Tuesday, teeing up a final vote on legislation penalizing the Michigan Democrat for her criticism of Israel following Hamas’s attack on the U.S. ally last month.

The chamber defeated a Democratic-led motion to kill the resolution 208-213-1.

One Democrat voted to advance the resolution, while six Republicans voted to kill it.

Democratic leadership had urged members to shelve the legislation. The majority of the caucus defended Tlaib’s right to make the controversial comments, citing the First Amendment, despite most disagreeing with her words.

The House will now debate the resolution, sponsored by Rep. Rich McCormick (R-Ga.). A final vote is expected Wednesday, and the measure requires majority support in the chamber.

While symbolic, censure measure carry little weight. There are no repercussions for the non-binding resolution following the vote, though it carries the stigma of being disciplined by a lawmaker’s colleagues.

Tuesday’s vote marked the second time in a week that the House weighed in on a resolution to censure Tlaib — the only Palestinian American serving in Congress — for her comments in the wake of Hamas’s attack on Israel.

Twenty-three Republicans joined Democrats last week in voting to kill a Tlaib censure resolution sponsored by Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.), with some voicing concern with the language in the legislation, which accused Tlaib of “inciting an insurrection” for her participation in an anti-war protest.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4297873-house-advances-tlaib-censure-resolution-teeing-up-final-vote/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: House advances Tlaib censure resolution, teeing up final vote
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 08:41:19 pm »
She is not an American anything.  She is a Hamas agent.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 08:47:01 pm »
She is not an American anything.  She is a Hamas agent.

That in a more sane, common sense time would be incarcerated.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 11:59:35 pm »
Wingnut, no one could have said it better than you did.

But... shure as s***... watch some stupid Pubbies vote against censure when it's time to do so.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 01:43:20 pm »
House Votes to Censure Rashida Tlaib over Anti-Israel Comments

The GOP-led House of Representatives voted on Tuesday night to censure squad member Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) over anti-Israel comments.

The vote to censure Tlaib tallied 234 – 188. Only 22 Democrats joined with 212 Republicans, while only four Republicans voted against the measure, with another four voting present.

Rep. Rich McCormick (R-GA), who introduced the measure, said that Tlaib’s comments were worthy of censure because she essentially called for the annihilation of Israel by sharing a video on X that included the phrase “from the river to the sea.”

“If this is not worthy of censure, what is? When you can call for the annihilation of a country and its people, if that’s not worthy of a censure, what is?” McCormick said on the House floor.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/11/07/house-votes-censure-rashida-tlaib-anti-israel-comments/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 01:48:29 pm »
So?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 01:49:16 pm »
So? What does she get beyond a public tongue lashing and a strongly worded letter?

She'll be an icon in her district!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 01:52:04 pm »
So? What does she get beyond a public tongue lashing and a strongly worded letter?

It's a Badge of Honor for her.

But I suppose the GOP will try to get more suckers to send them money because of it.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 02:10:28 pm »
Don't know if it will accomplish much, unless it makes her double down and run her mouth more.

Problem is Republicans don't counter her rhetoric and verbally destroy her and the Squad when they do it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 07:22:33 pm »
StopAntisemitism
@StopAntisemites
CENSURED for her antisemitism, Rashida Tlaib becomes only the 26th member of the U.S.  House of Representatives to be censured.
22 members of her own party voted in favor after Tlaib mimicked the Hamas rally cry for the erasure of Israel.
8:25 AM · Nov 8, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 07:34:01 pm »
Does it now mean this bitch can get stripped of her committee membershps?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 07:35:43 pm »
Does it now mean this bitch can get stripped of her committee membershps?

GMTA! 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 07:39:51 pm »

But, the precedent is established ---

Michael Tracey
@mtracey

Congratulations to the GOP for sponsoring and passing the first censure resolution in the history of the House of Representatives to punish “hate speech”

10:58 AM · Nov 8, 2023

« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 07:41:09 pm by Right_in_Virginia »