Author Topic: Biden announces $16 billion for Amtrak rail improvements in Northeast Corridor  (Read 476 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Biden announces $16 billion for Amtrak rail improvements in Northeast Corridor

By Gregory Wallace and Kevin Liptak, CNN

Updated: 1:50 PM EST, Mon November 6, 2023

Source: CNN

President Joe Biden announced Monday the federal government will pump more than $16 billion into improving the nation’s busiest rail line.

At an event in Delaware on Monday, Biden said the funding will go into more than two dozen projects along the Northeast Corridor – the Amtrak system that connects cities including Washington, New York and Boston.

Biden hailed the new investments, saying he knew the agony of waiting on a stopped train while trying to get home.

“I know how much it matters,” he said, describing an aging system in dire need of upgrades and repairs.

His words held particular resonance as trains nearby were stopped due to fire department activity on the tracks. It wasn’t clear whether the issue was related to the problems his new investments are meant to fix.

Biden told the hometown crowd that he was intent on making US rail first-rate.

more
https://lite.cnn.com/2023/11/06/politics/biden-amtrak-improvements-northeast-corridor/index.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden repeats debunked Amtrak story at Delaware rail event
by Christian Datoc, White House Reporter
November 06, 2023 05:59 PM

President Joe Biden repeated a widely disputed story Monday while addressing Amtrak employees outside of Wilmington, Delaware.

While in Delaware to announce $16.4 billion in rail grants along the Northeast Corridor, the president repeated the story of how he allegedly discovered he'd surpassed 1 million miles ridden on Amtrak.

Biden used Amtrak to commute daily to and from Washington, D.C., while serving as a senator for Delaware, and on Monday, he recounted an interaction with an Amtrak employee named Angelo Negri he had gotten to know over the years.

"I was coming home to see my mom, and I just — she was living at this time, my dad had passed away — and I got on the train on a Friday, and I won’t get [the Amtrak conductor] into complete trouble. I’ll just tell you his first name, but I’ll just tell you his first name. He was No. 2 in seniority at the time, Angelo," Biden told the crowd. "Ang came up to me as I was walking in, and he said, 'Joey!' and he grabbed my cheek, and he said, 'Joey, baby!'"

"They had just published in the newspaper that I had traveled 1,200,000 miles on Air Force planes as vice president. They published that on a regular basis," he added. "He said — I won’t quote him exactly — but he said, 'Big deal,' and I said, 'What’s it mean, Ang?'"

"You know how many miles you traveled on Amtrak?’" the president continued, still quoting Negri. "I said, 'No.' He said, 'A million 320,000 miles, and I said, 'How do you figure that?' and he said, 'Well, 180 days a year, almost 300 miles a day, 36 years.'"

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/biden-repeats-debunked-amtrak-story-delaware-rail
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline kevindavis007

Somewhere on the net, Willie Green is excited over this news.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Hoodat

Didn't we just do this?

Amtrak CEO outlines plans for spending $66 billion from infrastructure funding

Deon J. Hampton  |  Nov. 8, 2021, 12:10 PM EST

Amtrak plans to use the $66 billion in funding it receives from the newly passed federal infrastructure bill to advance rail projects along the Northeast Corridor and possibly expand service to 160 communities across the country, the head of the passenger rail service said.

The federal money would also help Amtrak tackle climate change.

“We have a clear vision for how we want to grow our business and reach more of America,” Amtrak CEO Bill Flynn said in a statement to NBC News on Sunday.  .  .  .

.  .  .  The funding would push forward the company's Amtrak Connects US initiative, a 15-year strategy to expand service for up to 160 new communities in an energy efficient way, in addition to rail projects and initiatives along the Northeast Corridor and elsewhere, he said.

Those initiatives include the Hudson Tunnel Project, which would rehabilitate the existing tunnel under the Hudson River that carries Amtrak and New Jersey Transit passenger trains between New Jersey and New York, and the Connecticut River Bridge Replacement Project, which would replace the existing 107-year-old bridge between different parts of the state.

Other funds would go to station projects between Washington, D.C., and Boston; and Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, to Springfield, Massachusetts.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amtrak-ceo-outlines-plans-spending-66-billion-infrastructure-funding-rcna4786
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Have they implemented Positive Train Control on the Northeast Corridor yet?

Fixing the track won't stop the trains from colliding and from exceeding speed restrictions.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright